• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re-installing Lightroom Classic to a New iMac

Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 2012 iMac, that is now giving so many errors and issues, so I am about to purchase a new Mac Desktop. Unfortunately I have also had some issues with my Catalogue structure. so I am intending to start afresh and reload from my Picture files (once I have had a massive Clean-up). Whilst I have numerous Duplicate images does anyone have any tips for re-Installation of Library. 

My issues started when I migrated from iPhotos, then Aperture which is no longer supported.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean importing all your photos into Lightroom Classic on the new Mac, this is not a good solution. You will possibly lose all your edits and all of your user-provided metadata. You will definitely lose collections, edit history sequence, virtual copies, pick flags and a few other things.

Better solution: fix the problems in your catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I suppose you have a good back-up of all your images and catalogue.

Second, like @dj_paige says, it is a terrible idea to migrate only the pictures and not the catalogue. Duplicate images shouldn't really be part of your catalogue, however.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what's 'wrong' with the catalog. But you might try the Export as Catalog (all items, save negs), then make a clean catalog, Import as Catalog. And backup/archive the old catalog (and new)! 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TheDigitalDog ,

You simply use the new catalogue as catalogue. You only need to be careful to put the images at the correct location. If not, you can tell Lightroom about the image location. This is much faster, because with a lot of pictures export/import takes time.

Personally, I would backup and cleanup.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now fully resolved the query, thanks to discussions with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Harri Flex 

Please tell us the solution, so we can all benefit from your experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines