• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re-sync

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have moved my photos off of my hard drive on my computer to an external hard drive to free up space and add speed. How do I re-sync my collections in Lightroom Classic to the new location on the external hard drive...Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You re-connect the FOLDERS via these instructions (see in particular, Figure 4):

https://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

DO NOT Re-import or Synchorinze the folders! This is 100% wrong and will cause problems. This is so important, I'm going to say it three more times.

DO NOT Re-import or Synchorinze the folders!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You! I will do exactly as you suggested.

I'm curious...Would you have recommended that I had done something different before I moved my photos off of my computer to the external that made more sense? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you did was fine (and for what it is worth, that is what I would recommend).

The only item I will point out (I don't know if this applies to you) is that sometimes people decide to move the photos AND re-arrange them on the external disk in one big task. This is almost always a horrendous mistake, in that now the re-connecting will take an awful lot more time; and if there are problems, you don't know if the problem was the move or the problem was the re-arrange. The advice is: get one thing working (moving photos and re-connect) before you try the other task (re-arrange).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yikes! I did reorganize the folders substantially on the computer hard drive before I moved them. It was a big mess and I spent a week making it how it should've been in the first place. Was that a mistake as well? Should I have done something before moving them? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two tasks: move, and re-organize. It doesn't matter what order you do this in, as long as they are separate distinct tasks, where you confirm that one task is done properly and everything is working properly before starting the second task. Doing them concurrently is the problem. So, did you do the re-organize and move concurrently and in one big task, or not?

IMHO: Organizing and re-organizing is best done via keywords and other metadata, rather than moving files and folders from here to there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I re-organized the all of the folders first. Then I moved the main folder that contains all the other folders of pictures over to the external hard drive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perfect. So follow the instructions on the link you sent and it should be all good?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines