• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Read Metadata from Files has removed my editing

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clicked Read Metadata from files on a batch of photos and all the editing is gone. Is there any way to undo this and get them back?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to command-Z or control-Z right after to undo the last action. If that's not available try going into develop on one of the images and see if you can stepo back in history to before the metadata read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't undo the Read Metadata action. I can only undo to the previous edit of my last photo I edited. I've been editing several photos over the course of a few days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't undo the Read Metadata action. I can only undo to the previous edit of my last photo I edited. I've been editing several photos over the course of a few days.

By @Will Aron

You will likely need a recent backup of your catalog file, before you did this Read Metadata action.

By the way, if you turn on the option to automatically write metadata to xmp, then this problem with Read Metdata doesn't happen, because all of your edits are in the xmp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think I have a back up. I only imported the photos a few days ago. 

And the automatic write wasn't ticked. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think I have a back up. 😞

By @Will Aron

A very unwise decision.

Especially if you have long editing sessions that last days, then you might want to have backups made once a day or even more often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know. I feel very foolish. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although the images now have the appearance of the read metadata applied, each image’s entire edit History should still be preserved, with the last step being “From Metadata”. So what might be possible is that when you come across an image that was accidentally changed, switch to the Develop module, look in its History panel, and click the History state just before the “From Metadata” state. That should restore the way the picture looked before Read Metadata from File was applied.

Unfortunately, there is no quick way to roll back one History state for all affected images as a batch. That is why you’ll need to remember to click back one History state manually, image by image, as you come across them. It will be tedious, but the important thing is that the state of the edits before reading metadata has probably not been permanently lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2023 Sep 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your history tip, this just saved me a few hours of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as a matter of interest why did you consider it necessary to apply the “Read metadata from the file option “.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DdeGannes I can't speak for the original poster, but for me, I use GeoSetter to Geotag my photos, as it has a nicer interface than the Map Module in Lightroom Classic. So, when I use Read Metadata from Files, it reads the GPS coordinates, and since I have automatically write metadat to xmp turned on, I don't lose my edits or user-provided metadata (like keywords)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines