Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Real Estate Photography HDR Window Pulls

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm wanting to start a thread conerning HDR as it pertains to Real Estate Photography. LR Classic's HDR is my preferreed choice of inteior photo blending...as far as algorthim based HDR goes, it's the most clean interior image. Often times the HDR image that is produced is very dark thus the user must boost the exsposure by 1-2 (at least) Full Stops. And although the interior portion of the images look very sharp the windows are always blownout and very desaruated. I currently one possible solution to this issue without having to hand blend the widows manually in on Photoshop. 

If there isn't already a thing, I would LOVE a feature that automatically blends my lowest exsposure (window pull) to the HDR image after I have already applied my LR presets and adjuments. 

Adobe, I believe this would be a powerful tool for those of that need to save every second of time we can while editing extremely large batches of photos. If something like this already exists in Lightroom I would love to know or otherwise I would love to see if my idea is a possibility you can make happen and how I could help. 

Thank you!

-Austin

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the following link and download the Profile SDK.  You can creat a profile with expanded Highlights/Shadows sliders.  I created one called Adobe Color HDR for just the purpose of editing Lightroom HDR photos.  I dont use it on every HDR photo and on nonHDR photos it can create issues due to the expanded range (to be expected) but it works well on most HDR photos.  The SDK will give you fairly easy instrunction on how to create the profile in ACR.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html?mv=affiliate&mv2=red 

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 11.29.31 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would this actually help blend in the correctly exsposed image from my bracket or just pull the shadows and highlights farther. What I want is Adobe to produce a window pull system that is applied AFTER the HDR is produced. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont know about this photos but I think if you do a lot of HDR the extended Tone Map Profile would help your work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Often times the HDR image that is produced is very dark thus the user must boost the exsposure by 1-2 (at least) Full Stops. And although the interior portion of the images look very sharp the windows are always blownout and very desaruated. I currently one possible solution to this issue without having to hand blend the widows manually in on Photoshop. 

This is normal behavior for LrC Photo Merge HDR image files. Adobe has extendd the Exposure control range to -5 and +5 so there should be no issue establishing the correct midtone exposure. For the blownout highlights you should be applying -Highlights to -100 if necessary. When doing so it's best to set Shadows to the opposite and equal setting (-50 and +50). More here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/tone-control-adjustment.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Todd Shaner  I think the actual value of the exposure slider range in a LrC is -10 to +10.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KR Seals @Todd Shaner 

Yes, it is +/- 10 on exposure.  WHY it is that large is the question.  Years ago when HDR was introduced I asked on the forums for anyone to upload an HDR that required +/-10.  I have never seen one. All this range does is reduce the accuracy of the slider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Austin and Bob are correct. The Exposure control range was extended to +10 and -10.

What I meant to say.....

Adobe has extended the Exposure control range to by -5 and +5 so there should be no issue establishing the correct midtone exposure. I never needed anything close to the -10 and +10 Exposure range available for HDR DNG files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Makes perfect sense what you are suggesting, will save lots of time for all of us in the field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Two thoughts, will actually variations on one.

If you apply a mask to the entire image, and use say a brush, you will find that your highlight range is expanded.

Also, using that same mask, but intersecting with luminance range, you could exclude the widow from the mask, then open up the exposure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines