• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recovering images from a LR back up without overwriting the current catalog

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to have some repairs done to my PC and they wiped the hard drive (but kept all my files)

When I used LR for the first time all my catalog had disappeared. I (mistakenly) started importing new photos to LR following recent photoshoots.

I have a copy of all my photo files on a hard drive and I have now found my LR catalog backups. I would like to recover the photos I lost from my LR catalog after the PC repair.

If I restore a back up from prior to the PC repairs will that overwrite the recent photos I have imported to LR? Is there a way of uploading selected photos from the back up and adding to the current catalog? Or is there a way to merge an old backup with the current catalog? 

I have not beem able find an answer anywhere and am concerned that by simply recovering a backup I will lose the recent work I have done.

Thanks 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Restoring your catalog from a backup will not overwrite photos. A catalog is just a database, like an address book. The photos are not physically in the catalog itself, but stored elsewhere. Restoring does mean you'll have to import the latest images again. Just like you would have to add the latest friends if you went back to using an older address book.

What you can do however is use 'Import from another catalog' and then import that new catalog into the 'Restored from backup catalog'. That

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restoring your catalog from a backup will not overwrite photos. A catalog is just a database, like an address book. The photos are not physically in the catalog itself, but stored elsewhere. Restoring does mean you'll have to import the latest images again. Just like you would have to add the latest friends if you went back to using an older address book.

What you can do however is use 'Import from another catalog' and then import that new catalog into the 'Restored from backup catalog'. That means you have to move the new catalog aside to another folder, rather than overwrite it when you restore from that backup.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I understand the first part about the original photos and the LR settings (held in the catalog being separate).

Being a novice what are steps to complete part 2?

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom Classic, use the menu command File->Import From Another Catalog. Instructions are here: scroll down to "How do I merge two catalogs or import folders from another catalog?".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, have now managed to sort it all, just reconnecting all the images.

Thank you for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you restored a backup of your catalog file, there should be no reconnecting needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi forgot to say in the meantime I also reorganised my folders so the photos have moved location, hence the need to reconnect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm glad this worked for you. However, this is usually a bad idea. Get one thing to work (restoring a backup catalog file) before you try doing things to that catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines