Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recovering metadata after disk crash

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My NAS crashed recently and it contained lots of image files catalogued by Lightroom. I have backup copies of the files, but without the Lightroom metadata. I intend to copy these backup files to a new NAS, but I would very much like to recover the Lightroom metadata associated with the image files. When I open Lightroom the metadata is visible, and even the thumbnails of the images. Is there a way of associating the metadata with the corresponding files on my new NAS (once I've copied them all from backup)?

James

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

So, in the simplest case (which may or may not be possible), you copy the backups to the OLD location (exactly), and no pointing of Lightroom Classic to the new location is needed. If the new NAS doesn't have the same drive letter (Windows) or drive name (Mac), you can change the drive letter or drive name to match exactly the name/letter of the old NAS, now Lightroom Classic thinks it is the old NAS drive, and then do the copy, and you should be done.

If none of the above is possible, then see this document

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotta ask, no backup of the Catalog? 

Thumbnails and previews are stored outside the Catalog. Or also in the images if supported. 

Yet another advantage of DNG for raws; all this and more can be stored inside that container. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My NAS crashed recently and it contained lots of image files catalogued by Lightroom. I have backup copies of the files, but without the Lightroom metadata. I intend to copy these backup files to a new NAS, but I would very much like to recover the Lightroom metadata associated with the image files. When I open Lightroom the metadata is visible, and even the thumbnails of the images. Is there a way of associating the metadata with the corresponding files on my new NAS (once I've copied them all from backup)?

James

By @JamesML

Yes, the backup files themselves don't need to have the metadata becuase the metadata is in the catalog file; and you seem to be describing that the catalog file shows the metadata. So just COPY (not move) the files from their backup location to the location Lightroom Classic thinks they are in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the helpful replies. I do have a copy of my Lightroom catalogue, which is on my Mac, not on the NAS that crashed.

If I understand correctly I should be able to copy the backup copies of the files to my new NAS, and then point Lightoom at this new location, although I'm not sure how I specify this to Lightroom.

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, in the simplest case (which may or may not be possible), you copy the backups to the OLD location (exactly), and no pointing of Lightroom Classic to the new location is needed. If the new NAS doesn't have the same drive letter (Windows) or drive name (Mac), you can change the drive letter or drive name to match exactly the name/letter of the old NAS, now Lightroom Classic thinks it is the old NAS drive, and then do the copy, and you should be done.

If none of the above is possible, then see this document (particularly Figure 4) for instructions on pointing Lightroom Classic to the new location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this additional advice. I've ordered a new NAS, but I haven't received it yet, so I'll let you know if I run into any problems once I've installed it.

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello again,

My new NAS finally arrived, after a longish delay, and is up and running. I copied all my photos to it, opened Lightroom, and followed the instructions in the document you recommended in order to connect to the folder on my new NAS. Everything worked fine.

Thanks for your help in solving this problem, and to all the other who provided useful informaiton.

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, replacing the backup is all you need to do. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines