Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recovery of deleted photos.

Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recovery of deleted photos. 
I accidentally deleted photos from one of my collections. Is there anyway to retrieve these edited photos? Thank you. 

anilp1948

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you simply deleted the collection, that only removed the collection from the catalog. However, the images should still be in their folders. A collection is simply an organization of images within the catalog. It does not physically move images. A collection can be an organization of images from multiple folders. But it does not move the images from those folders. It simply creates a reference to those images and organizes the images in a group within the catalog. So unless you went to the folders and delete the images they should still be in their original location.

If you did in fact delete the photos you should be able to find them in the trash or the recycle bin, depending on your operating system. But in that case it will be necessary to edit them again because all of the editing will have been discarded from the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

deleted photos from one of my collections

Do you mean:

• Removed from Collection

or

• Removed from Catalog

or

• Removed from Catalog and deleted from disk?

Three very different scenarios

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/photos.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GoldingD,
Thanks for your reply. I had accidentally deleted the photos from the
catalog and hence they were also removed from the folder. Fortunately I had
not formatted my compact flash card in the camera. So, I have imported the
originals again into the Lightroom and will have to spend several hours
again to edit them. Lesson learned the hard way!

anilP1948

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More clarification please.

I had accidentally deleted the photos from the catalog and hence they were also removed from the folder.

Did you do this in Lightroom Classic? Or did you do this in your operating system?

If you did this in Lightroom Classic, did you click on the button that says "Delete from Hard Disk"??

Why did you say at the top that you deleted photos from a collection and now you say you deleted them from the catalog? Which did you do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this in Lightroom classic. Instead of deleting the rejected photos from the collection, I accidentally deleted them from the catalog and hence they were also removed from the folder. Fortunately I had not formatted my memory card and I was able to re import the photos into the Lightroom. Of course, now I will be spending several hours again to edit these photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have made a Catalog backup that recorded those edits, then there is a method to recover the edits from the backup catalog.

This may save you the "hours of work" to edit again-

RESTORE PARTIAL from backup catalog?

Having already re-imported the files may have complicated this process!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Rob,
Thank you very much for your help.

anilp1948

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to suggest you consider a backup strategy that would protect you from this and many other problems. (NB putting files in the Cloud doesn't mean you can forget about backups, as some sites claim - it's misinformation!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Will do. 

anilp1948

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@anilp1948 wrote:
Hi GoldingD,
Thanks for your reply. I had accidentally deleted the photos from the
catalog and hence they were also removed from the folder. Fortunately I had
not formatted my compact flash card in the camera. So, I have imported the
originals again into the Lightroom and will have to spend several hours
again to edit them. Lesson learned the hard way!

anilP1948

You could have saved yourself those hours of work in the following way:

First, you should have restored the images. Either from that memory card, but it's better to have a backup of your photos. This could have happened with a folder of older images too, and then you probably would not have had the possibility to restore them from a memorycard.

Second, you should have replaced your catalog by a backup copy. That backup catalog would have contained all the edits, as long as it was a backup from just before you made the mistake.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. I will definitely follow your recommendations from now on. 

anilp1948

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Deleted"? What were the exact sequence of steps (in detail, please)? Were these steps done in Lightroom Classic or in your operating system, or somewhere else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines