• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rename/revert Lightroom Classic's name to Lightroom!!

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe Adobe made a misstep by renaming Lightroom as Lightroom Classic. I would like to explain why:

• Lightroom Classic is a much more robust product than the newer Lightroom.
  • "Classic" sounds as if Adobe will one day discontinue the desktop software.
  • From a marketing standpoint, it is counterproductive. Imagine calling Photoshop, Adobe's flagship product, "Photoshop Classic". It's a terrible idea!

I propose Adobe to:

1. Revert Lightroom Classic to simply Lightroom
  2. Rename Lightroom to Lightroom Cloud

Please vote to update the software names so I can sleep better at night!

Thank you.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Classic" sounds as if Adobe will one day discontinue the desktop software."

It really doesn't. That's entirely your subjective opinion, not borne out at all by any actual evidence.

"From a marketing standpoint, it is counterproductive."

I doubt that Adobe would sell more LrC than it currently does, if each copy came with a puppy - it sells by the truckload, so "counterproductive marketing" it self-evidently isn't.

"Please vote to update the software names so I can sleep better at night!"

I would be frantically clicking a "downvote" button if Adobe  provided one (and frankly, I wish they would.)

Put simply: the names don't matter. At all. It takes all of a couple of seconds to come to terms with them, and change for the sake it is rarely if ever worth the effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a feature request and does not change the app's functionality.  This is moving from Ideas to Discussions.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I propose Adobe to:

1. Revert Lightroom Classic to simply Lightroom
  2. Rename Lightroom to Lightroom Cloud
By @toneee4

Please no. We've had to live with Adobe's Marketing department mucking around with several renaming. We've had stability with the current names for awhile now.

IMHO, the naming is to reflect that the target by Adobe is to sunset LrC sometime in the future when Lr has all the features it does. You may have noticed the wild excitement by some of Lr's support for local files as well as cloud files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this was Adobe's original decision, I would think it was great. But now that most people have gotten used to the names Lightroom Classic and Lightroom (the cloud version) and there are huge amounts of literature on the web using the existing names, changing the names now would generate huge amounts of confusion; IMHO it would generate more confusion than the original choice of names has generated (and continues to generate).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you think that these discussions didn't happen around the time this move was made, you're mistaken. There was a lot of vocal rhetoric on it, but alas, the decision was made regardless. As much as I feel how you'd like it is how it should have gone, this is now water that's already evaporated a few times and passed under the bridge that many times. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines