• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replacement laptop for Surface Pro 3/Dell M4800 for travel: Windows or Apple?

Contributor ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When away I used to take my trusty Surface Pro 3 to process images, but it is long past being able to handle the lastest LR Classic/Premiere. I have a Dell M4800 too which has been very good and quicker that the SP3, but that is old now too and doesn't support the latest Premiere. It is also big. It is time for a replacement and was looking at the lastest Surface Laptop Studio or Dell XPS, but am wondering whether I should be switching to a Macbook 14" Pro on account of the combination of speed, screen quality and size. What I want to be able to do is edit and catalogue images accurately when away, rather than spending hours when back. My video requirements are currently pretty simple, as I usually shoot 1080p rather than 4K video from my camera and drone, thought that may well change.

My current workflow is to import to a LR catalogue on the laptop and then when back this is exported and imported to my main catalogue on a Windows PC (Ryzen 9 3900XT with 32Gb RAM) and calibrated BenQ SW271. After editing, images are moved to a NAS via LR.

I am inclined towards an M2 Macbook Pro with 16Gb/1Tb drive, with an external drive for backup/addtional space. I don't want to spend more than I need to, but since the Mac has zero expansion capability unlike the Dell, I need to get this right. It may be that the Mac is quicker than the desktop and I end up using it connected to the BenQ when back home.

I would be interested to hear experiences/recommendations from others.

TIA

Andrew

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?