Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replacing sky in PS from Smart Folder skies in LR

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I have a number of my own sky images in a Smart Folder (following keywording them 'sky'.)  Can I access them when I want to replace a sky in Photoshop?  It seems like a no-brainer, that Adobe would make it possible, but I can't figure out how to load them/make them accessible to PS.  Your advice/input would be appreciated!

Cody

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Community How-To Guide - Tips & Best Practices

Supply pertinent information for more timely and effective answers
The more information you supply about your issue, the better equipped other community members will be to answer. If you're unsure on how to do this, you can copy and paste this template:

Explanation of the issue including what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you were trying to achieve, and any other information you may think is useful.
Adobe product and version number 
Operating system and version number 
Error message(s) (if applicable)
Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; the amount of RAM; etc. 
Screenshots of the problem (if applicable)

In your case, at least the program name and version.

Oh and OS, I do not see if you are running Windows or MAC in the footer of your post (Some things can be IS centric)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in a Smart Folder (following keywording them 'sky'.)

Do you really mean Smart Collections?

Assuming we are talking Lightroom Classic. Then no. For Smart Collections. Collections exist in the Lightroom Classic database (the catalog) only, and do not apply to file structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, sorry, I did mean a Smart Collection. Thank you for your helpful reply.

Cody

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop can't access Lightroom Classic collections. Therefore, it would be much easier for your to simply copy the sky images to a folder (outside of Lightroom Classic), then add same to the Replace Sky feature in Photoshop (see below screenshot).

Untitled-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speaking of folders vs collections, and as it may turn out, lack of info on OS. I googled Smart Folder, and gosh, a MACOS capability having nothing to do with LrC.

are you referring to:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/create-or-change-a-smart-folder-on-mac-mchlp2804/mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternative.

In LrC, in the Folders panel, create a folder called Sky. Move those images into that folder. Then they will be in an actual folder your OS file manager will work with, and as such PS can work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Remember that Lightroom is a non-destructive editor. If you made any edits to these images, then these will not show if you load the original images into Photoshop's Sky Replacement dialog. You must export the images from Lightroom.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines