• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Request export resize to fit < 1,0 megapixels

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To deliver (export) raw images that are not yet processed, I want to shrink them to a maximum of about 800 pixels on the long edge. For portrait and landscape images this works like expected. For other aspect ratios like square images a long and short edge of 800 pixels would be too much.

I would like to resize these raw images to fit 0,5 megapixels but Lightroom Classic has a minimum of 1,0 megapixels.

Is it possible to change the minimum number of megapixels to 0,1 or 0,5 megapixels in the export dialog?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want 0.5 megapixels, then you would want to crop appropriately before export, and then set the proper Image Size in the export dialog box that will give you the desired megapixels. For example, if  you cropped the image to 4x3, then setting the Image Size to 800x600 gives you exactly 480,000 pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish; "To deliver (export) raw images that are not yet processed, I want to shrink them to a maximum of about 800 pixels on the long edge". You can't shrink RAW files because they are not images. It looks like you were trying to export the image as JPG (just guessing). When you are working with RAW files in LrC, they have been converted to DNG, internally, even if you have not processed them.

As @dj_paige illustrated, exporting images with 800 pixels on one edge will be larger than 1 megapixel.

What will the exported/delivered images be used for if you want them less than 1 megapixel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, RAW is an image format, my mistake. I mean raw as in 'basic materials from which products are manufactured or made'.

The question a little different:

I can export images with 10 pixels on the long edge but can not export and resize to fit 0,5 megapixels. Why?

Just think of a collection of images from different sources. I could order the images by aspect ratio and then export them in multiple batches with longest edge at ... pixels. I want to make a dump like this is what we have but you must not use the material and I don't want gigabytes to send.

Limit file size to is also possible, but this will change the quality. I am interested in the area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same question "What will the exported/delivered images be used for if you want them less than 1 megapixel?"

While there may be a minimum of 1 megapixel in Export when using 'Megapixel' as a selection, you can do the math and figure out how to get below 1 megapixesl in total. For example, I just exported a 400x265 pixel image which is .1 megapixels.

As to your example, here's a 10x7 pixel image. Not sure where it would be used.

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question a little different:

I can export images with 10 pixels on the long edge but can not export and resize to fit 0,5 megapixels. Why?

10 pixels on the long edge (which means the short edge can be at most 10 pixels) gives you an image that is at most 100 pixels. No way it can then be 0.5 megapixels (500,000 pixels).

So I feel that the communication from you is not understood by me, and I ask you to clarify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Answering this question of what you are using these exports for would really help those of us trying to help you. 

"10 pixels on the long edge (which means the short edge can be at most 10 pixels) gives you an image that is at most 100 pixels.". True, so if you are intent of hitting a .5 megapixel (or 500,000 pixels), here are your options.

DS256_0-1627674255722.png

Others have also commented on if you are trying to save this as a DNG/TIFF (RAW) format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to check for any possible confusion here, the LrC export settings include an option to declare a maximum image file saving size in MegaBYTEs - which is a fundamentally different matter, than MegaPIXELs. 

A MByte limit if imposed, causes LrC iteratively vary file saving 'quality' (hence, JPG compression ratio) overriding whatever was selected, until the needed number is achieved - assuming that is even practicable, which it sometimes isn't. This feature does not involve varying the number of pixels in the output: these are separately controlled in the Resize options.

IMO the Megabyte limit is not really worth employing. Better to use tested export specifications which you know will produce output within a certain range of file size - always to a constant saving quality AND resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To deliver (export) raw images that are not yet processed, ages a long and short edge of 800 pixels would be too much.

I would like to resize these raw images to fit 0,5 megapixels but Lightroom Classic has a minimum of 1,0 megapixels.

By @pieterd48490999

If the images are not yet processed their aspect ratio is as shot. For most cameras that is 2:3. Using the below website calculator with .5 megapixels and 2:3 aspect ratio the image size is 577 x 866 pixels. In the Export module set 'Resize to Fit' to 'Width & Height' and enter 866 for both W: and H: values. The processed images will be .5 megapixel (577 x 866 = 499,682). If shooting at a different aspect ratio simply plug that into the below calcualtor and repeat the same steps.

https://www.pointsinfocus.com/tools/megapixels-to-image-resolution-calculator/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pieterd48490999 wrote:

To deliver (export) raw images that are not yet processed, I want to shrink them to a maximum of about 800 pixels on the long edge.

Hold on; you can't export a raw as a raw like that.  You can render the raw and save a TIFF or JPEG etc to  that number of pixels. But that isn't raw. 

Try setting Export for DNG (which can be a raw), see all the settings you desire disappear? Because a raw is a raw (DNG or proprietary), read only, unprocessed. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you check 'Use Lossy Compression' in the Export module DNG File Settings the Image Sizing controls can be used. Not sure how someone would use a .5 Mp raw file, but you never know. I use it to reduce the size of very large LrC Photo Merge DNG panorama files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Todd Shaner wrote:

If you check 'Use Lossy Compression' in the Export module DNG File Settings the Image Sizing controls can be used. 

Which isn't raw; ceratinly not like the original sensor data and a DNG produced using lossless settings. 

I can save out a JPEG as a DNG; it too isn't raw. 

The OP says he wants a 'resized' raw; that isn't possible AFAIK. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lossy DNG has less dynamic range than a full sensor data 16 bit DNG file, but more than an 8 bit JPEG file. I suspect the OP is actually exporting to JPEG file format, but wanted to offer lossy DNG as a file format option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lossy DNG isn't raw, period. It is partially baked. Or maybe I should say minimally baked. But what it isn't is raw. As the sensor data provided to an Adobe product that can convert to DNG and do so, in a case where the data is AS raw as prior to the conversion. 

The OP can't do what he wants and end up with raw data. A Lossy DNG, a TIFF, a PSD, or JPEG he can. I think it important he understand that IF he doesn't assuming the statement below is what he means:

To deliver (export) raw images that are not yet processed, I want to shrink them to a maximum of about 800 pixels on the long edge.

Lossy DNG is processed. 

Lossless DNG (in terms of the sensor data) is not. 

The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter. ‘tis the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.” - Mark Twain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines