Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restore Edited Deleted Photos From Computer

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I did it:

While cleaning up my catalog I accidentialy deleted  a  virtual copy of a file  (as in "delete from disk)" from my file folder.  Any magic  to recovering the copy without having to re-edit that finished photo and avoid having to to edit it all  over again?

I do have a copy in a copy but is only in JPG. not the original RAW format and I've love to retain that format.

Thank you in advance.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Virtual copies are stored in the LrC catalog and not in the folder on your HDD. When you delete a virtual copy you'll see a popup that says 'Remove from Lightroom?'. If it's only one file I suggest simply rediting a new virtual copy. If you have a large number of deleted virtual copies AND you have a recent catalog backup you could recover them by exportitng to DNG file format using the backup catalog and then import them into the current working catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote “ AND you have a recent catalog backup you could recover them by exportitng to DNG file format using the backup catalog and then import them into the current working catalog.“.

So if you use the Original file (raw, tiff or jpeg) and export to DNG that will include info to recreate the related virtual copies?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So if you use the Original file (raw, tiff or jpeg) and export to DNG that will include info to recreate the related virtual copies?

By @DdeGannes

Just to be clear the virtual copies in the backup catalog you want to recover need to be exported to DNG file format using a recent catalog backup file. Not the original raw files. This wil create an exact copy of the virtual files including the Develop settings, keywords, star ratings, and color labels. It does not include pick flags and association with a collection. So you'll have to do that manually if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you had only a virtual file selected you should only get an option to remove. If you have an original file selected and used the delete from disk option the original file should be sent to the trash bin and all related collections, virtual copies and metadata in the catalog file will be removed.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines