Ripple effect in photos/bad resolution

Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I'm getting these resolution issues on LightRoom mobile, but the same thing happens on desktop. On desktop, the fix is to zoom in, wait a sec, let it clear, then zoom out. It clears the ripple effect but it's just temporary. If I'm on mobile, there's no fix to it and when I export to my phone, the image isn't crisp and the ripples show. Does anyone know how to resolve? A screenshot is attached. It looks like the ripple effect from throwing a rock into a pond.

Thanks so much.  

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Develop module, at 1:1 or greater, do you see it? 

Zooming out subsamples the preview data and it isn't unusual to see a moiré pattern depending on the image. That is simply the downside of zooming out. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This looks like banding caused by jpg compression, which happens typically in flat areas, like a clear sky.

To avoid it (or at least minimize it), the image has be saved (or captured) with a high quality jpg setting.

It can also happen after saving a jpg more than once. Jpg is a final format, and not suited for editing. Every time a jpg is saved, image quality will deteriorate.

image.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines