Exit

Saving from Photoshop back to Lightroom ordering problem

Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please can you help.

I am working on MacOs Monterey.

I have been working on editing a large folder of images in Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. Up until now, every time I edited a photo in Lightroom and then needed to do some further edits in Photoshop, I click ‘Edit a Copy‘, and after I have done some edits, when I saved the photo, Photoshop would send it back to the order that the photo was in. 

For instance, if the photo was Number 53 of 150, when it was saved in photoshop, it would save it back into Lightroom as number 53 or 54, next to its original image.

However, now for some reason, when I’m saving the photos in Photoshop, it is sending the photo right to the very end of the folder that I am working on, in Lightroom (i.e. 151) and not saving the photo back in the order that I imported the photos in.

Can anyone please tell me what I might have done to cause this to happen? 

Thank you.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

For some reason that I cannot fathom, the sort mode switches from the default Capture Time to Edited Time sometimes when returning from Photoshop.. In Grid View, make sure the Toolbar is on at the bottom (press T if it's not).. Change the sort order back to Capture Time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very end of the Folder? As seen in the Mac Finder? 

Do you see the original and the edited image next to each other in Library? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.

I do apologise, I am actually talking about Library. I haven't checked Mac finder as I am using the star attributes in Lightroom, so every photo I am working on is sorted by the star rating. I am currently sorting and editing by five stars only.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK good, can we see a screen capture of the issue within Library (after you save from Photoshop), without sorting by star? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have been checking out the photos without using any attributes, and I have noticed that it is not saving the image to the very end of the folder. However, it is saving it to the very end of the sorting for the five star rating I have been using, whereas before it wasn't. So if I edit a copy of image number 58, in Photoshop and save it. The original and the copy becomes number 150 and 151 respectively. Whereas, before it was just saving them back to number 58 and 59.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason that I cannot fathom, the sort mode switches from the default Capture Time to Edited Time sometimes when returning from Photoshop.. In Grid View, make sure the Toolbar is on at the bottom (press T if it's not).. Change the sort order back to Capture Time. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much. That has fixed it!

Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines