• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scaling after cropping in Lightroom

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually need to crop or straighten my pictures in Lightroom, and then I rescale them a little bit to frame them for my Instagram project, but I always encounter this issue: when I scale after cropping, it obviously scales the whole picture (even what I cropped out). What I normally do is that I save the picture and add it again in Lightroom only to scale it, but I am sure this is overkill and I am missing something super simple here. 

Any advice? 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of LrC are you using?

.. then I rescale them a little bit.." What are you doing to 'rescale' them. LrC doesn't have that feature like PS does unless you are taking about Enhance.

"... I save the picture and add it again in Lightroom only to scale it, .." Not sure of your steps here. Are you saying you EXPORT it (Save) and then Re-IMPORT it? Do you scale it on the EXPORT?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @DS256, there is a Scale slider in Transform, so you can actually scale inside Lightroom. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAICT the OP's issue is, that the Scale slider in Transform cannot be set to constrain itself to the extent of the current crop. Only, to the extent of the entire original image.

Another way to achieve the same effective result, with the same caveat, is to update the crop by dragging any corner handle with the Alt key held down (that's on Windows - Option key I believe, on Mac).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @RuxC,

In Transform, you have the option to scale, but there are also sliders to move the X and Y positions, which may be a better option when trying to get it all to fit. Of course you can drag the crop about as well. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m missing something so I did some tests which I attached.

IMHO, if after using CROP+ALIGN or TRANSFORM+CONSTRAIN CROP, the only way to save to a particular size in pixels is through EXPORT+IMAGE RESIZING.

What have I missed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing. You crop to a ratio and set the pixel size you require when you export. This is how it's been since Lightroom 1. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I advise: eliminate from your mind all notion of Lightroom cropping or transforming having anything to do with the number of pixels, pixels per inch or anything of that sort - except indirectly.

Crop has to do with a picture's compositional framing (including rotation, and overall shape).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, thank you for your advice and input. I thought the best thing to do is show you so I will attach the steps I do here: 

Step 1. Crop/ rotate 

RuxC_0-1640081620397.png

Step 2 - this is the picture I want to scale / frame

RuxC_2-1640081772155.png

Step 3 Geometry --> Scale. Normally I use this to create white margins like a frame.

RuxC_1-1640081695482.png

Instead of staying cropped, when I scale it, it uses the whole original picture. So I have to export the cropped picture and reimport it, in order to have this result: 

RuxC_3-1640081969977.png

Hope that makes sense. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The white margins seen in your example are - necessarily - overspill, wherever the boundaries of the original image have been exceeded. 

If you want to export an image plus a border there are two ways to go - well, three I suppose

• you could make a Slideshow and export that to individual JPGs, one per page - I would not recommend this
  • you can Export your cropped image, and as part of that select postprocessing which places that within a larger image canvas, showing your choice of margin colour. This postprocessing can be e.g. a Photoshop droplet (packaged action), or you can invoke some simpler utility - for example, "Imagemagick" via the LR/Mogrify plugin
  • you can use the Print module to place your cropped image onto a "page" layout showing your choice of background colour / keyline / whatever, and control the pixel dimensions produced - this can be done for a series of images in one batch - within the settings of this "print to JPG" output. This kind of output can produce a consistent set of images differently framed according to each one's crop aspect etc, since it is the constant "page" not the varying image which is actually being output there. Also of course multiple images can share a "page" as well as caption text, identity plate, image info, graphical frame etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@richardplondon  came up with a number of good suggestions but I am not clear on how you want the framing to appear.

When you say "Step 3 Geometry --> Scale. Normally I use this to create white margins like a frame" I take it you want to retain the white margins. In that case, make sure that 'CONSTRAIN CROP' is not clicked. The export I did in the example above shows this.

DS256_1-1640087177339.png

If you want to have equal borders, then keep CONSTRAIN CROP checked then use PRINT TO JPG in the PRINT module, as @richardplondon mentioned, to create a white border (or any other colour you want) around the print. Here's an example with a blue background.

scale blue.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Or you can use Color Efex Pro's Preset for "Image Border" (Type 14).

That generates a clean white border around the image.

Type 13 will do so with a clean black border.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines