Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scanned or Edited Images converting to Monochrome

New Here ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am facing an issue since the last 1 month. I have noticed images that are scanned such as Film negatives that are scanned and converted to tiff or images that are externally edited, when they come to the develop panel then convert to Monochrome. I have to Reset the image and then it comes back to how the original image was. It becomes a hassel, as the images when processed without getting to the develop panel automatically get processed as Monochrome. 

Can anyone tell me what the issue is?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First: TIFFs are externally edited how and where? 

Next: Let's see the import settings used; screen capture. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you accidentally applying a preset during Import? Make sure it is set to none.

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 9.38.34 AM.jpg

warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here's my work flow: 

1. From Retouchers 

a. Raw image tweaked, processed and sent in 8/16Bit Tiff to my retoucher in Adobe RGB format OR Raw image sent in CR2 or CR3 or IIQ format.

b. Image edited in Adobe RGB and sent back in JPEG or TIFF format for review. 

c. Image imported in Lightroom and further color grading done by me.

d. Processed in JPEG or TIFF and sent to the client. 

This process I have been following since the last 15 years and till last month it was working perfectly well. Since a month, the files I get from any of my retouchers, they turn Monochrome once I take them to Develop Panel. I have to click Reset and then the file is back to normal as sent by the retoucher. If I dont work on that file and I process it as sent from the retoucher, the file gets processed in Monochrome. This issue does not happen in Photoshop. 

2. Scanned Negatives from Lab OR Scanned Polaroids on Epson scanner

a. Negatives scanned on Silverfast and in Adobe RGB.

b. Sent to me in TIFF format. 

c. File tweaked for exposure, contrast etc. 

Again same issue comes up. The images turn Monochrome. Also what I have noticed is the scanned Images that are shot on Black and White negative when got to Develop Panel have a green tint. I have to click on Reset and that's when they turn to true black and white. 

I have been following this for a really long time and never faced this issue. 

Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 9.00.32 PM.pngScreenshot 2022-05-30 at 9.00.47 PM.pngScreenshot 2022-05-30 at 9.05.47 PM.pngScreenshot 2022-05-30 at 9.06.02 PM.pngScreenshot 2022-05-30 at 9.06.10 PM.pngScreenshot 2022-05-30 at 9.07.21 PM.png

Video Links 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@josephlavine I am going to check on this. Thanks for indicating this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might have defaults created for these "cameras" or are applying a preset on import as already suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines