Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set external as source and destination of files

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone

I've finally upograded to the newer version of lightroom ( i was using 6 for several years) but i've encountered some "silly" problems i can't fix. 

On the older version, my external hard-drive was the source of all my files, it didn't use my pc's disk space. And, whenever i had to import files from a sd card, they were sent directly to the external hard-drive. 

But, now, i can't seem to set the external hard-drive as default source. I have all my year's images on this drive. Whenever i try to open a image, i have to import them by defaut to my pc's disk. 

How could i get it fixed  ? Can't seem to find either the folder containing my images on the catalog. 

Thank you all 

Jean

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you "upgraded" to Lightroom, which isn't an upgrade but an entirely different application, that stores images in the cloud and does not use your locally stored images. Your logical upgrade path would be to Lightroom Classic, not Lightroom.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for the reply. 

I forgot to mention that my upgrade was done to the newer version of Lightroom Classi, not cloud. 

An additional problem i'm having is to delete images from my local disk. I've imported the images from my external hard drive thinking it would only sync the device with lightroom. But, actually, all the images were imported to my local disk. However, when i try to find the folder wich they're located, it doesn't find them. My disk is full when i check it, but no images are found under lightroom folders. But when i plug my external hard-drive images are located onto it. 

How come my disk is full of images but none of them are found ? 

I have a brand new pc(2 days). Just with lightroom classic, adobe desktop and chrome. 

Thanks 

Jean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you open your old catalog in Lightroom Classic after you installed it? That should have been all you needed to do, but it sounds like you started a new one. Lightroom would have asked you to ugrade the catalog, and after that was done everything should be the way it was before. That is still the best way to do it, so use 'File - Open Catalog' and find and open your old catalog. See also this: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. 

Before you replied, i tried erasing the catalog with my external hard-drive unpluged. It did definetely erased the catalog so that there are no more images on it. However, my internal disk still is full. I can't locate the files. As i would like to start from scratch. 

I remember that before my update, my external hard-drives were used as my main source. I've never used  internal disk space to edit my images. Everything went to from my SD card to External Hard Drive and once edited moved to a new folder within the External Hard Drive. I could always reach out to any files on my catalog. 

I think i'm from a resolution here. I've deleted my catalog, but the images are somewhere in my Internal Disk. I'd like to begin from scratch to do as instructed on the page you've sent me. In order to do it, i'd need to clear my Internal Disk first. 

Jean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To keep in mind. I was using lightroom 6 on windows 7. I'm using the newer version on windows 10. I didn't make a proper backup for all my files on windows 7. Only my images raw,jpeg,tiff etc were on my hard-drives. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use your operating system's search feature to search the entire internal disk for all files whose names have the proper file type, such as .JPG (and if you shoot RAW, the photos files have a particular extension that depends on the camera and you probably know what that is)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. But i doesn't find the files, be it jpg, dng or raf(fuji). 

On the first image you see the notification from windows saying that my disk space is full.

On the second one, i've typed the search for .dng files on the same disk (wich is the ssd one) and no results are found. 

I've noticed that while running a new file from my external hard-drive, all of the images were doubled on my external hard drive. I've ran a import to a new catalogue from my external hard drive to the same one, with the thought that it'd sync. it just doubled my images so far, consuming more space in my external hard-drive. 

Thanks

I just want to be able to access my images directly from my external hard-drive without stocking it into my pc's internal hard drive. And, that any new imports from a sd card (for example),go directly to the external hard drive through lightroom. It was so simple before. I really can't understand the hassle. 

message2.png

Message.pngmessage1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First you have to find your images, and if I am understanding the last screen capture properly, they are not on your internal drive. So next check your external dirve.

With regards to Lightroom Classic, nothing has changed, the way you import photos and store photos hasn't changed a bit. It shouldn't be a hassle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wich is weird. Because lightroom precises that space is lacking on C: ( see image 2) wich is my internal drive.  I just bught a brand new pc,but since i started trying to import my image, the internal disc C: is defitely full with no trace to the files whatsoever. 

On my second try, images got doubled in my external hard drive and i got the same message from lightroom indicating that espace is lacking on C:. Following that message, i had to cease the operation because it wouldn't go any further. 

So, the question is: Do we, on the newer versions of lightroom, pass by the internal drive ? I hope not. 

To be more precise: The workflow on my previous lightroom 6 (running windows 7) was only external hard drive based. I'd insert a sd card with my external drive plugged in, a window would pop up in lightroom indicationg me where to export the images ( my ext drive in that case), i'd import it with no hassle. The images would then be on  my folders linked to my ext drive and i'd scroll freely with the selected images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you import, the Destination Panel of the Import dialog box should say you want the photos to be imported to the external drive. You never have to put the photos on the internal drive, if you don't want them there. You are in complete control of where the photos go. This has not changed at all.

You might also want to look to see what your operating system says about space. How much does it say is free? How much space does it say is the entire drive? This is what I see for my internal drive named C:, I have 208GB free and 476 GB total for the drive.

2021-11-14 09_19_44-Window.png

Also, the screen capture of the Import dialog box indicates your photos should go to the F: drive. I don't see any indication that your photos are on the C: drive; something else may be taking up space, such as Lightroom Classic previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. 

I've reinitialised my machine from scratch. I couldn't find the cache file, so i did it the hard way. 

I've re-downloaded lightroom.  But, to get back to the reply you gave me, i don't wish to re-import the files to my external drive since they're already in it. Isn't there an option to not re-import the same images onto the same device ? It seems a silly thing by adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is your catalog on your C drive ? If so, the preview folder (called "<catalog name> Previews.lrdata", next to the catalog file, ) might be the one that takes a lot of disk space. When importing, LrC will add previews of the imported photos in the preview folder. If the drive is out of space, you will get this error message.

If it's the case, you should move the catalog (and the Preview folder) to an other drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines