• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Setting up LR on a new laptop

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using CC on a Windows desktop for years. Now trying to set it up on a new Windows laptop. The files I want to import are kept on a mapped NAS drive in a particular folder with subfolders for subject / trip / etc. This mapped drive also has backups of my DSLR's memory cards in separate folders, obviously I don't want to import these. However, when I choose Add and select just this folder, not only does LR import all the other folders on this mapped drive, but also the laptop's Pictures folder.

My Lightroom Photos is the folder I want to add to the catalogue.

I never had any trouble with this setup on my desktop, everything worked perfectly.

LR version is  10.4 Windows 10 64 bit.           

Screenshot 2021-09-14 003301.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now trying to set it up on a new Windows laptop. The files I want to import are kept on a mapped NAS drive in a particular folder with subfolders for subject / trip / etc. This mapped drive also has backups of my DSLR's memory cards in separate folders, obviously I don't want to import these. However, when I choose Add and select just this folder, not only does LR import all the other folders on this mapped drive, but also the laptop's Pictures folder.

My Lightroom Photos is the folder I want to add to the catalogue.

DO NOT IMPORT PHOTOS ON YOUR NEW COMPUTER. This is so important, I am going to say it three more times.

DO NOT IMPORT PHOTOS ON YOUR NEW COMPUTER.

Please follow the instructions here exactly. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/ Do not add in your own steps. Do not skip steps (except the part where it talks about switching Mac to PC or PC to Mac if that doesn't apply). Follow the steps exactly as written.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I am not importing photos, I am cataloging them on the laptop. I am not replacing my desktop, only using my laptop in addition. It seems to be a good idea to just copy over my catalog files. But, I'm using Classic, so how would LR know any previous settings? Why would it not just catalog the files in the folder I point it to? Why all the other files that I didn't want to be cataloged?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how the Lightroom Classic catalog works. Your edits are in the  catalog. So by copying the catalog file and moving the catalog file to the other computer, the edits are in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That still doesn't explain why it imports files from folders I don't select. What if I was setting it up on a computer for the first time without having it on another one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom Classic does not import photos unless you specifically tell it to do so. So Lightroom Classic is not doing this on its own.

So explain what you are doing and seeing in a lot more detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines