• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shadow slider acting crazy with Leica Q2 DNG files (high ISO)

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Im having issues with my Leica Q2 DNG files in Lightroom Classic (LRC 10.4 with ACR 13.4). on Mac OSX 11.5.2
This does not happen with other RAW converters.
I saw similar issue with Leica SL2 DNG files but not other cameras I tried

File type:
imported DNG raw file from Leica Q2. Issue happens mainly with files at 2500 ISO and over. with large shadow space

Behavior:
- when moving the shadow recovery slider past 50, it starts adding a lot of bright noise in the deep shadows. you can even see the image blink while sliding the cursor
- if using curve sliders instead, the issue doesnt happen and the shadows can be recovered with minimum noise
- if using the LR engine 1 or 2 the issue doesnt happen
- not sure if this is normal but if I try to use the engine 3 or 4 it reverts automatically to 5 when i move the slider

- same issue with Photoshop and Lightroom Cloud. So I assume its a problem with ACR?

tried changing GPU cfg, NR settings etc.. doesnt matter

here are 2 crops of the DNG file. the one with massive noise is from LR after recovering shadows. the clean one is from another RAW converter after recovering the shadows

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 5.20.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-15 at 5.21.40 PM.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In tne Histogram, do you have show clipping turned on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I dont. The noise shows on export in JPG too by the way. so its not just rendering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bump

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed this actually happens on certain files. when moving the slider over 40% the histogram gets crazy boost. Seems to happen with high ISO files that are slightly underxposed. Probably the algorythm. using curves etc doesnt have the same behavior at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thread is over a year old, are you still using LrC 10.4 and OSX 11.5.2?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven't seen this on my own files from a different camera. Can you share a dng for others to test?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I can confirm this behavior as well in both classic and CC. Also happens when using cc on my phone. If I convert in Capture 1, this doesn't happen. I have used LR with several Leica sensors and this only happens with the Q2 sensor. Sometimes I will run the high ISO photos through DXO prime for noise removal and it keeps the issue from happening. 

Occasionally, For some odd reason, the effect is much more noticeable when I export a full size jpeg. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As requested of others in this older thread, can you provide a DNG file that exhibits the issue so that we can confirm your behavior?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines