• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sharing lightroom catalogs back and forth between photographer and culler/editor - corruption issue

New Here ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy! 

I'm working for a friend who owns a photography business. I'm culling and editing for her, but we live seven hours apart. 

She has been sharing catalogs with me for culling/editing purposes. 

Ex:

1. She sends "5-29-2022 Jacqui and Evan - TO CULL" from her computer (that has all original files)

2. I open catalog, cull photos, save a collection within catalog called "Culled", and send her back the .lrcat "5-29-2022 Jacqui and Evan - CULLED"

3. She opens catalog and makes edits to 25% of photos. Saves and sends it back to me as "5-29-2022 Jacqui and Evan - TO EDIT"

4. I open catalog and begin matching her edits. In theory, I would do the same thing as culling and send it back to her as "5-29-2022 Jacqui and Evan - EDITED"

However, the catalog was corrupted in between editing sessions (I have to cull/edit in the early mornings before my infant and toddler wake up). Here's the conundrum: if I exit Lightroom and shut down my computer in between sessions to avoid corruption, I won't be able to open the catalog back up because I receive the "file not found" message (all original files are on her computer/external, not mine). If I keep my lightroom open, I risk corrupting the catalog because I haven't properly shut my computer down for days. 

Thoughts? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The catalog is most likely being corrupted in the file transfer ... it has nothing to do with you shut down computers (or leaving computer on) between sessions. How are you transferring the files?

The other likely cause of catalog corruption is hard disk malfunction, which you should also investigate by running diagnostics on your hard disk.

You might also want to consider making catalog backups after each editing session.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What makes you conclude that the catalog is corrupted? Does Lightroom report it is? Or do you conclude this from the 'file not found' message? In order to edit her images while the originals are on her computer, she would have to generate smart previews for them and include these in the transfer. You cannot make edits if you do not have the originals or smart previews. Did she do that?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines