• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Should I update to Classic?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have LR Classic 6 on my 2015 MAC.   About to add another 13K images to LR.  Would I be better off upgrading to the new LR Classic version?  Will my 2015 MAC limit functionality?  I could upgrade my MAC if i must. 

Thank you, 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Better off" based on what criteria? What is your specific concern(s)?

Your current LR 6 can certainly handle the additional 13K images.

The current LrC has a bazillion features that LR 6 doesn't have. (Okay, that's an exaggeration, it's not a bazillion, but its more than 10; and there are so many features in LrC that are not in LR 6 that I would never go back to LR 6)

You didn't say what operating system your MAC runs, that makes a difference, some older operating systems will not run LrC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dj, 

i'm running MAC os Catalina  10.15.7

Cant take the update as i am out of hardisc space (56GB of other, thanks Apple) and i'm told the LR Classic 6 will not function on the latest Apple OS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr 6 will run on Catalina, although some features may not work well. It cannot be re-installed on Catalina.

I don't see how upgrading to LrC will solve disk space issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running LrC 11.2 on Catalina with 600,000+ images on 2015 iMac. There are defintely way more features that make it worthwhile over LR6. Space wise, you're better off considering external drives for your images. I'm running a 24TB external and backing up to other drives and via the web. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I believe I will move up to LRC.  Hope all my files will migrate over well when I make the switch.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't have any issue upgrading the catalog. Lightroom Classic will leave the original catalog intact, though it will take the previews. Lightroom 6 will still run and generate new previews as you traverse the catalog. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still use LR6 too.  IF you make the change to the current subscription version, you will be in a new world, with all the changes.  This could make processing 13K images a lot more difficult.  I would Import into LR6, cull and work the images in an environment that you already know and understand, then convert, if you want to access the new features.

Just a thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I still use LR6 too.  IF you make the change to the current subscription version, you will be in a new world, with all the changes.  This could make processing 13K images a lot more difficult.  I would Import into LR6, cull and work the images in an environment that you already know and understand, then convert, if you want to access the new features.

Just a thought.

By @Bob McA

Anything the user could do in LR 6 can be done in Lightroom Classic, as the interface is the same, and the tools in LR 6 are also in LrC. It should not really make processing 13K images "a lot more difficult". Honestly, I don't know why you would say LrC makes processing" a lot more difficult", because it clearly does not make processing "a lot more difficult". The processing of 13K images would be not be the slightest bit more difficult. (And maybe the OP would like to use some of the new editing tools...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines