• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Show Parent Folders by Default

Participant ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting up Lr on a new computer (v8.4.1) running Win10 Pro. Haven't had to set up Lr on a new computer for many years. 

When I import photos, the Library only shows the folder the images are in. I can right-click and select Show Parent Folder. That's tedious. I know Lr can be set up to show parent folders by default. I just can't remember how to do it. Have done a search on here and the web and not finding anything. On my prior machine, running Win7 Pro, I had it set up that way. 

Thanks.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
15 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK there is no setting to show parent folders by default. There is also little reason to have such a setting. You just have to use 'Show Parent Folder' once. Lightroom won't hide the parent folders again all by itself.

BTW, it is usually not necessary to start again with a new catalog and import again. That way you lose all the work you have ever done. Use your old catalog and transfer it to the new computer: 

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aware of the ability to migrate catalogues and am aware of how to do so, having done it a number of times in the past.

I did not ask about migrating catalogues. 

There, in point of fact, is very good reason to want to show parent folders by default. It simplifies the workflow and makes it more efficient. When you are importing many images into many different folders in a session, it becomes tedious to have to do so for each parent folder. Particularly so when you have a nested folder hierarchy set up. 

I never had to do this on my old computer and prior versions of Lr. Let me say that again: Never. I would import into a subfolder and both the subfolder and parent folder would be visible in the Library module. That is as it should be. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't quite get what you are asking. As you said, you right-click on a folder and 'Show Parent Folder' (as long as there is a folder above it - as in D:/ Pictures/Holidays/September). But there isn't a 'Default' setting as it were. It all depends on how you set it up. I've been using Lightroom since version 4, and there has never been a default version to show the parent folder. It probably explains why you can't find any information about this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I've been using is since v1. So we've both been using it quite a while. As noted, I've never had to right-click and select Show Parent Folder. Never. So I did something in the past, that I can't now remember.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import one photo stored in a 'Parent Folder' - then you will have the full folder hierarchy.

I needed Windows Administrative rights to store a photo on C:, but it shows-

ScreenShot399.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that might well be it. That seems familiar. Will do that on next import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More likely it is something that was changed in more recent versions. Like I said, there is no such setting.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow up to suggestion-

I suggest you do not place an image on C: but rather have your {Pictures} folder as the your top-most 'Parent' folder. Lightroom cannot access (Delete) photos on C: as it does need administrative rights using File Explorer.

I have an Internal hard-drive solely for my photos so it is easy to see the full hierarchy in Lightroom - D:\Images\ YEAR\MONTH\DAY folders.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not an issue. I don't use the C: folder. I have an extensive set of hard drives that I use for photo/video storage. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, there isn't one. It can't be set up to show the parent folder by default.

What has to be done is to put a single image in the parent folder, import that single image, then sync the parent folder which will import all the other subfolders & images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for confirming. It's really disappointing that Adobe left this functionality so broken. They went back and forth for a few updates years ago with this happening by default.

It's not just that you have to press show parent, and that requires refreshing the entire catalog each time, which is very slow on a bigger catalog. This is extremely tedious and expensive.

It's that it imports in a completely bizarre, random order that is not sequential in the least.

There is plenty of reason for this functionality to be supported, despite the claim made earlier. It's not just for people maintaining large catalogues of nested image folders (like myself). Even the most routine functionality:

Session A/picks

Session B/picks

Session C/picks

Session D/picks

would result in 4 completely identical folders. And that kind of organization would be pretty common for the average person.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE:  This is one of the dumbest damn things .... I'm constantly having to find the folder I imported to from the list of several hundred clients to then right click and show parent folder multiple times.  For instance if I put a folder int X:\Active Clients\ABC Company\2022\February\Feb22 then when I import, the folder in LR shows Feb22 and I have to click Show Parent Folder 4 times to get it to properly show up in my LR list having Active Clients as my top parent folder. W TF?  Who do you have actually making the decisions on this stuff?  Obsiously it is someone who isn't in the actual field doiong work and who doesn't have a clue as to how this one thing impacts the efficiency of a workflow.

Randy Brogen, M.Photog.M.Artists.Cr., CPP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree this can be a pain, but the best solution is actually very simple: do not use folders as your organisation tool. That is what collections and smart collection are for! In the Lightroom Classic philosophy, folders are just storage containers. You can add images to a (new or existing) collection on import.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am constatntly having to click Show Parent Folder when adding new clients to my folders.  This is the dumbest damn "feature" Adobe has put out.  It should display the folder structure by DEFAULT and then if you wanted to show an abbreviated version then choose that.

Randy Brogen, M.Photog.M.Artists.Cr., CPP

Votes

Translate

Translate