• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow to launch and walk between photos

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With an upgrade to version 12.1 LR has become painfully slow to the extent that it cannot be used. It takes around 50sec to start, 20-40 sec to open Preferences, 20-30 sec to go from photo to photo, tethering maybe does 1-2 photos than hangs, etc.
When LR is started it literally draws the tools pallete one by one - each one takes like 3-5 sec.

Happened with upgrade. Nothing was installed (nor software nor hardware) in between updating from 12.0.1 which ran normally to 12.1.

Ok first to mention what I´ve already tried:

- reading all the threads about this in the forum and tried all the solutions like:
- turning GPU OFF: no effect (might be even slower)

- absolutely latest version of GPU drivers (tried Gaming and Studio edition of drivers), Windows updated
- resetting the preferences (manually and automatically, deleting old pref files, RAW defaults, etc)

- all plugins are disabled (at the moment Mogrify is ON but tried with that one OFF also)

- turned the antivirus and malware protection OFF
- reverting to 12.0.1: actually made no difference and even 12.0.1 was slow.
- other Adobe software (and similar like C1) runs normally
(- it is a windows machine so it has full disk access)

Basically I am stuck with non working software.

System info (it is actually WIN 11 - legal PRO version, don´t know why it shows 10):

Lightroom Classic version: 12.1 [ 202212072312-d7ab524b ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.22621
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 24
Processor speed: 3,6GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
CPU Utilisation: 0,0%
Built-in memory: 65449,5 MB
Dedicated GPU memory used by Lightroom: 309,4MB / 24340,0MB (1%)
Real memory available to Lightroom: 65449,5 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 993,6 MB (1,5%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1279,0 MB
GDI objects count: 803
USER objects count: 3030
Process handles count: 4341
Memory cache size: 0,0MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 15.1 [ 1329 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 0MB / 32724MB (0%)
Camera Raw real memory: 3MB / 65449MB (0%)
System DPI setting: 144 DPI (high DPI mode)
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Standard Preview Size: 3840 pixels
Displays: 1) 1920x1080, 2) 3840x2160, 3) 3840x2160
Input types: Multitouch: Yes, Integrated touch: Yes, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 (31.0.15.2756)
Init State: GPU for Export supported by default
User Preference: Off

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: K:\*****.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\****\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) LR/Mogrify 2

Config.lua flags: None

Adapter #1: Vendor : 10de
Device : 2204
Subsystem : 161319da
Revision : a1
Video Memory : 24340
Adapter #2: Vendor : 1414
Device : 8c
Subsystem : 0
Revision : 0
Video Memory : 0
AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024
AudioDeviceName: $$$/dvaaudiodevice/SystemDefaultAndEffectiveDeviceName=System Default - Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)#{comment}DVAAU-4201250: Open the audio hardware preferences page.
AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2
AudioDeviceSampleRate: 48000
Build: LR5x19
Direct2DEnabled: false
GL_ACCUM_ALPHA_BITS: 16
GL_ACCUM_BLUE_BITS: 16
GL_ACCUM_GREEN_BITS: 16
GL_ACCUM_RED_BITS: 16
GL_ALPHA_BITS: 0
GL_BLUE_BITS: 8
GL_DEPTH_BITS: 24
GL_GREEN_BITS: 8
GL_MAX_3D_TEXTURE_SIZE: 16384
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE: 32768
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS: 4
GL_MAX_VIEWPORT_DIMS: 32768,32768
GL_RED_BITS: 8
GL_RENDERER: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090/PCIe/SSE2
GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: 4.60 NVIDIA
GL_STENCIL_BITS: 8
GL_VENDOR: NVIDIA Corporation
GL_VERSION: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 527.56
GPUDeviceEnabled: false
OGLEnabled: true

{Thread title updated by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details. I'll point out a few things you can check into.

• Displays: 1) 1920x1080, 2) 3840x2160, 3) 3840x2160 - You have three monitors; try to unplug the 1080P one as a test & try unplugging all the displays & only keep one.
  • Library Path: K:\*****.lrcat - Is the K drive an internal or external drive? Try to move the catalog to the internal drive or create a new catalog & go to File > Import from catalog & import the catalog from the K drive to duplicate the catalog to the internal drive.
  • What input hardware brand are you using for the mouse & keyboard?

Let me know how it goes. Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sameer,

1) I already tried with 1 monitor only. No difference. Been using 3 monitors for years. The FHD is a Huion pen display for retouching.

2) K is internal drive. Fast SSD gen 4

I create new catalog for every project.

No difference even with new empty catalog on another internal ssd.

3) mostly just wired keyboard (apple) and Logitech mx master 3 mouse (BT or universal receiver - makes no difference).

Pen display is rarely used in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing that you should try is to switch off the GPU support from the Lightroom preferences and check if that helps to fix the issue.

Go to Lightroom > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" > Restart Lightroom.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html#troubleshooting

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

If Lightroom doesn't start correctly the please see "Solution 2" in the document behind the second link.

Troubleshoot GPU issues | Lightroom Classic (adobe.com)

Another step is to try to reset the Lightroom preferences.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

It's recommended to backup your preferences before you reset the preferences to the default settings:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/preference-file-and-other-file-locations.html

Which add-ins do you have installed?

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please no classic copy paste "solutions" as I clearly stated I tried all of these already. Even followed your instructions for additional cleaning in an older thread.

It's actually in the bold section all the things I already did. Plus some additional explanation on Sameer's thread.

But thank you anyways for diggin in!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While the instructions below are specific to reverting versions, they may assist you as well. 

Some notes on reverting versions to improve performance.

Often on the forums, I see reports of people saying something like: 

"I upgraded from version X to version Y and version Y is very slow. I reverted to version X and the performance returned to normal."

On the surface that seems to say version Y has an issue and that reverting to version X restore functionality. Also likely is that the installation of version Y was flawed but not the application itself. Often a clean reinstallation of version Y solves the problem just as reverting would. 

Clean Lightroom Install Procedure

Close Lightroom

Restart the computer

Use the Adobe Creative Cloud App to uninstall Lightroom

Restart the computer

Install Lightroom via the Creative Cloud App without launching any other programs.

Restart the computer

Launch Lightroom

Wait 5 minutes

When considering reverting to a previous version I would recommend trying the clean install procedure first. This process insures the current state of your machine is clean. After days, weeks, or even months (I've never found a machine that was years on the current session) without restarting, considerable cruft can accumulate and cause some funky behavior. 

If you've reverted, I would recommend giving the clean install process a try to see if we can get you acceptable performance and the latest fixes and features. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I followed the exact procedure (found in one of the older threads also) step by step and there is sadly no difference.

Something must have stayed written or corrupt with an upgrade that does not get removed even with the above procedure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking Preferences in Edit menu literally hangs LR (and the whole machine) for 15-25sec.

At one time clicking Preferences drove the LR to a weird loop - redrawing the Preferences panel every second in an infinite loop until I manage to click Cancel at the exact moment.

Task manager details:
Proc/CPU usage goes from 0 to 1.2% so basically nothing.
Mem usage does not change. Around 1.4Gb throughout the process.
Disk usage stays at 0%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I have figured out why this is happening as I have very similar problems. After reading through this thread I realised I'd updated to Version 12.1 BEFORE I updated my GPU driver. I think if I had updated the driver first it wouldn't be an issue. I am going to try reverting before I attempt a clean install, I'll get back to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not here to offer help, just here to say I'm having the exact same problem. I was editing photos just fine before the last update, now I can't do anything without lightroom thinking or "not responding". It's really bad. I'm not very tech savy but I have everything updated. I'll try uninstalling and see if that works. Ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issues, and it looks like we have almost identical hardware. And I've tried everything you have, same problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this damaged error when trying to back up my catalog. This is a new error that I got after the last update. I click repair and it goes through and looks like it downloads or updates or repairs something but I go back into Lightroom and it doesn't seeem to make a difference. Still slow and hardly usable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems there are a problem with your installation. I would suggest a complete and clean reinstallation.

Please follow the steps below:

I know that's a lot of work, but the experience has shown that some problems can be solved in this way. 

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution worked for me. My LTR since version  12 started has been basically unusable due to performance. After following Axel's steps listed above the performance issues were resolved.

Intel i7-8700K-32GB RAM-NVidia GeForce 3070 Founders Edition-Windows 11 Pro-Samsung 990 Pro SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes issues are specific to your user account. Testing a clean user account can help to solve a lot of potential problems in one go. If you’re not sure how to create a clean user account, click here for Microsoft and Apple’s official instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this is actually a double thread I will post the solution that helped in my case also here:
By the advice of another member I downgraded to 11.5 (since downgrade to 12.0.1 did not help).

v11.5 ran normally (12.0.1 hung and was as slow as 12.1 when downgraded, but ran OK before) even after I restored all the preferences.

Upgraded to v12.1 and it is more or less as fast as 12.0.1 was pre-upgrade. So I´d say all good.

I have no specific idea what helped with 11.5 downgrade but I am sure that the Prefernces, 3 monitors, plugins or input devices were not the cause in this case.

Thank you anyways for suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a solution though. We pay money so we don't have to go through issues like this. Otherwise why not just pirate this software. Adobe need to sort out their nonsense really. I have photos I've already started editing on 12.1, there's no going back to 11.5 till I'm done. This is frustrating really!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your response and effort with this, but I also agree this is not a solution.  If a lot of people are having performance issues with a new version, they should have never rolled out a new version.  Users shouldn't have to resort to trying things like complete uninstalls, risky personal data backups, etc. to work around an issue like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This particular problem has been reported often in the last few weeks/months, and I am not aware of a working solution. I think the number of reports has risen to the point where Adobe should consider it a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have been struggling with it for months. I have everything set to automatically update with Norton, so I know I don't have any out-of-date components and software. I thought it was because I had too many photos and started doing some serious culling and transferring to an external hard drive. Now I have a catalog mess and it's even slower.I haven't successfully edited a photo all summer. I was traveling so time was precious. I would hate to be a professional and try to deal with this. Adobe needs to fix it. I wish I could get "one on one" help over the phone because I'm not as tech savvy as the rest of you. I feel like I need to dump it all and start over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines