• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow when using masking - especially brushes

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used Lightroom Classic for years, and it's never been this bad. I literally got a new computer just to speed up my workflow. In the last couple of weeks, it's gotten so slow, I can't even use it. It started with slow masking, especially with brushes. But now, even switching to the next picture in the strip takes 5-10 seconds. Cropping? It's not even worth it unless it's really crucial, as it takes forever, especially if I'm straitening it out.

I tried cleaning up my SSD, clearing the LR cache, upping the limit to 25gb, creating a new catalogue, reseting the preferences, swithing off the GPU setting (nothing changed) and then turning it back on, updating my driver from the manufacturer site. Nothing works.

I had Adobe remote access my computer, twice. They did a few things I mentioned above (reset preferences, set my GPU preference to custom, clearing the cache, etc), and they seemed to make it faster for about 15 minutes. Then it's right back to where we started. Now none of those things even make a difference. I'm well above minumum system requirements, but it's even worse than when I used a computer that was below minimum requirements.

I'm so lost on what to do.

Lightroom Classic version: 12.1 [ 202212072312-d7ab524b ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition
Version: 10.0.19045
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 20
Processor speed: 3.6GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
CPU Utilisation: 0.0%
Built-in memory: 65457.6 MB
Dedicated GPU memory used by Lightroom: 3635.6MB / 8032.0MB (45%)
Real memory available to Lightroom: 65457.6 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 14159.8 MB (21.6%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 19280.9 MB
GDI objects count: 1076
USER objects count: 2377
Process handles count: 75742
Memory cache size: 575.3MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 15.1 [ 1329 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 1871MB / 32728MB (5%)
Camera Raw real memory: -2428MB / 65457MB (-3%)
System DPI setting: 144 DPI (high DPI mode)
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Standard Preview Size: 3840 pixels
Displays: 1) 3840x2160
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 (31.0.15.2756)
Init State: GPU for Export supported by default
User Preference: GPU for Export enabled

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, Photoshop, Premier Pro, any other applications, have no speed problems at all. It's just Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See (and reply) here since this may be the same issue:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-classic-v12-1-totally-unusabl...

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same thing happen after upgrading to v. 12. I had to revert to version 11.5 and now everything is fine. It's something with the new version 12. It's so bad and so frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with masking and had to revert back V12.01. Now it performs normally. Version 12.1 has serious performance issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Review your system's specs and compare them to the minimum requirements document*: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html 
*last revised/updated at the Max 2022 release.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the most basic part of diagnosis and surely, we'd already done that way before we posted here. 

Mine: gen 10 i9 , 64gb ram, 4gb VRAM, 2tb nvme ssd. 

The point is, version 12.1 runs much slower than 12.01. and the masks crash frequently (panel keeps disappearing), never happened to version 12.01. It's not a spec issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we'd already done that way before we posted here. 

“We” (youstated that where?

Masks do not crash for me.

Try disabling GPU in preferences, still crashing for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“We” (youstated that where? - compare my specs to the minimum requirements.

I'm back to 12.01, It works fine now.  (Tried upgrading again, problem came back immediately. ). I'll just skip 12.1, won't update until next one. 

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll just skip 12.1, won't update until next one. 

Again, spec changed at 12.1. Which is why you may be on that older version for awhile or attempt the possible fixes suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  Yes, I did check the specs and my system is much higher than the recommended. I also did driver updates, which solved blurry image problem in Camera Raw. But it is still extremely slow and clicking hide/show masks would cause the whole mask panel disappear. I had to go back to 12.01 to continue my work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Similar for me here. It started with the introduction of the new masking UI. Previously, when I wanted to add a brush or (radial) gradient, it was nice and responsive. Now there is a noticeable delay between when I hit the brush shortcut and me actually being able to start paiting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines