Smart Masks desperately need a "Recompute All" button.

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a wedding photographer. We often shoot events in dark spaces that require us to push our cameras to the limits of acceptable ISO. DxO PureRAW software has made it to where we can shoot at almost any insane ISO, and then remove all of the grain later in the DNG file. The problem is that I don't want to convert every single DNG before I edit in Lightroom, as the files more than double in size. PureRAW also does proprietary lens corrections that are throwing off the alignment of the smart masks when you convert and relink the DNGs.

Here's my current workflow.

1. Import raw files.

2. Convert to DNGs.

3. Import to Lightroom.

4. Cull & Edit. 

5. Select images to be converted with PureRAW.

6. Save metadata to DNGs.

7. Convert using PureRAW.

8. Make sure the converted DNGs have the same name as the originals, then replace the originals with the converted files. (Yes, I keep copies of the originals)

9. In Lightroom, choose "Read Metadata From Files."

10. Generate new previews, and you’re ready to export final images.

Until I had smart masks, this worked nearly perfectly. Now—because of the lens corrections applied in PureRAW—the smart masks are no longer aligning in the new files. Yes, I could turn off the lens correction in PureRAW, but it’s so good, I’d prefer to keep it.

A solution would be a much needed “Recompute all Smart Masks” button. As it is, if you have extensive tedious masking, it’s super difficult and time consuming to recreate those all with new masks. A single button—even if it takes a bit of computing time—would certainly be helpful.

Note: I do understand that other manual brushes and even healing brush alignment could be off with PureRAW conversion, but those are usually minor in comparison to smart masks. 

TOPICS
Cross-app workflows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this is planned in an update, but for now you could make your life a lot easier if you changed just one part in your workflow:

4: Cull (don't edit yet)

9: Edit

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2022 Aug 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This would work for many of the images, but there are a significant amount that we don't know need conversion with PureRAW until after editing. Not all of the images are converted, just the ones that end up with significant artifacts after the edit.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines