Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart preview file bigger than 2GB

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon,

I have a problem with smart previews file.

My colleague sends me catalogue exported with smart previews so that i can correctly see photos and modify /select etc.

She shared the catalogue on googledrive but as i downloaded it the smart preview file (5,24gb size)was split in 3 different files (2,12 - 2,12 - 1,38 gb), so i can't see most of photos since inside the catalogue folder there is only one of those 3. 

Did it ever happen to any of you? how can i solve it?

I'm using LR Classic, Imac (and mac book pro both with last OS released),

thank you in advance

arianna

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many photos are in the exported catalog that you receive?

5.24GB is incredibly large for the Smart Preview .lrdata file!

I can select a folder of 200 (CR2) files to [Export as a Catalog] and the Smart Previews folder is 235MB  (megabytes!)

Smart Previews (each single DNG Smart Preview) is roughly between 1 & 2MB  (so 5.24GB ????)

Is your colleague 'sending' you their entire Smart Preview folder from their working catalog?

Do they know that [Export as a Catalog] creates it own and specific SPs only for the photos in the exported catalog?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi!

yes she knows, and the catalogue contains about 6000 photos...it was a huge and long wedding...

so do you think is there any chance i can solve my problem or with this size of file is impossible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

6000 photos -yes, expect a very large Smart Previews package!

My test with 6000 images went over 3GB before I interrupted and cancelled! Can't wait all day!

The two "2,12" numbers suggest that it is a Google-drive limitation on file size. (2,12 - 2,12 - 1,38 gb)

I have never had this situation, so I do not know if it might be possible to re-combine the Smart Preview 'Folder' structure.

Perhaps another way of sharing the Catalog that will allow larger files?

Does Dropbox have a size limitation?

Googly reports- "All files uploaded to Dropbox can't exceed your storage space quota. There is no file size limit for files uploaded through the desktop or mobile apps, and files uploaded to dropbox.com have a maximum file size of 50 GB."

Or, by 'Snail- mail' on a USB stick in the post 🙂

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines