• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart Previews enabled so why external HDD action?

Engaged ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I leave LR for a little while - in the Develop Module - come back later, to keep working, but LR needs to - for some reason - wind up all the hard drives to access the file I'm working on for some reason. I thought the point of enabling Smart Previews in the Develop Module was to avoid external HDD action. 

Furthermore, the crop tool when 'use smart previews in Develop' is enabled, is glitchy and jumpy. The problem subsides when the same radio button is disabled.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"to avoid external HDD action"

No, they allow you to edit without the HD attached.

With the HD available, there's supposed to be a speeding up of some processes but LR can still call up the originals when it needs - eg to zoom in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn't the enabling of the Smart Previews override the LR's need to access the external files in the first place (beside zooming in)? Do I physically have to disconnect my external HDD to 'force' LR to comply with the request to use Smart Previews exclusively? That seems a little backwards...Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, disconnect the EHD if you want to force LR to use smart previews. So a purpose of them is to let you work with the originals offline. Another purpose is speed, and the "Use SPs instead of Originals for image editing" preference could be worded better. But what that setting does not say is "only".  LR will seek to use the smart previews until you do something that would benefit from accessing the full image data, at which point LR will go looking for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Heres a tutorial on how to work with Smart Previews and external harddrives.

https://youtu.be/KrXBWqk_sjE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines