Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Solid grey image previews in library after reimport, which cannot be deleted

New Here ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

for reasons grounded in my operating system (MacOSX El Capitan), I had to delete data from my hard drive. So I deleted most of the raw files that I had imported into lightroom.

After reviving my operating system, I reimported the raw files to my harddrive, using Lightroom (ver. 7.2). They are in the same location that the previously deleted files were in. In order to make that import possible, I had to uncheck "do not import suspected duplicates" option.

In my library, I now have two previews for the file, e.g., 01234.ARW (i.e., there is no versioning as in 01234.ARW-2). The old one, previews, links and is displayed correctly and can be edited normally in the develop module. The new one shows a solid grey panel in the library (i.e., no image at all) and it does not seem possible to delete that instance of the preview.

Any advice how to remove these grey panel library items would be appreciated. Due to the number of files, manually moving one file after the other to the old location is not an option. Thank you all.

-dm

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

And consider, Synchronize folders as shown in:

How to create and manage folders in Photoshop Lightroom Classic 

not a normal operation.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you referring to library previews as in the filmstrip, a grid view, the navigator panel, and anything in the library panel?

The delete the preview folders. Lightroom will recreate them when you restart lightroom.

Lightroom error on preview cache or displays gray thumbnails

cross is your fingers and think good thoughts and hope  lightroom will associate past edits to the originals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it looks like you have reinstalled you Mac OS from a backup of some sort ("After reviving my operating system")

Is that the case and did you then reimport image files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly right.

I deleted the files (didn't reinstall, but rescued the sytem). Then opened Lightroom, which of course couldn't find the deleted files anymore, and then I tried to bring back the deleted files with the Lightroom import.

It is as if it imported the suspected duplicate, reassociated the old entry in the catalog with the reimported file (as it should), but it also created a complete blank. These blanks do not seem to have any attachment at all (the file name it shows is simply the filename of whatever file was last highlighted in the film strip or preview). I  am trying to get rid of these blanks, but cannot because they cannot be deleted. Right-clicking brings up the menu, but clicking "remove photo" does not do anything (probably because the blank is not associated with anything at all).

Deleting previews as suggested by davidg... did not resolve the issue. I also tried to "optimize catalog" without success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about a screenshot of your library module. In the Folder Panel, make sure the parent directory is shown. Make sure the filmstrip is shown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4285 is the original preview, now associated with the reimported file. 4286 is the blank created with the reimport of the image file. Nonetheless, 4286 seems to be associated with 4285, as if an edit copy (not a copy of the file). And yet, that grey blank has no properties at all. no file name or any other attributes, which is probably also what makes it undeletable, because with no properties Lightroom probably doesn't know what it should delete.

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 10.59.41 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to expand out that Folders panel, You might see some warnings in it.’’

As you can see in the Catalog panel, something like 3660 missing photos.

Before selecting find missing photis hot is you might want to check fir missing folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you look at that Folders panel, any folders with a question (?) mark.

When you look at the filmstrip and/or grid view any images with an exclamation (! ) mark?

In the Folders panel, is just one parent drive shown?

Thinking some of what is in: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And consider, Synchronize folders as shown in:

How to create and manage folders in Photoshop Lightroom Classic 

not a normal operation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Resynchronizing solved the issue. Thanks, David.

(I did "reject" the photo to then attempt deleting them with "delete rejected," which was as unsuccessful as the other attempts at deleting them.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe resynchronizing the folders did it. I have to double check tomorrow. At 3:45 a.m. I am no longer capable of sound research or judgment.

As for the warnings, in the folder preview the grey panel had a black flag on the top left with an "x" in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images flagged for rejection show a black flag with an x. This is a user created flag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines