• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some blues print overly saturated

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm printing to a Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 to Red River Ultra Pro Satin and using that color profile with perceptual intent.

I've printed many color (and B&W) prints sucessfully, and have a fairly good idea of what I'm doing.

However, I have a few files that have a light blue tint on some part due to stage lighting on the subject. They look fine on the display and there are no out-of-gamma warnings.

When I print these though, that blue comes out as solid blocky blue (see attached photo). When I turn the blue primary setting way down (-80), it becomes acceptable. (It seems to work better than adjusting the blue's saturation in the HSL/Color panel.)

In any case, are there any ideas of why this might be happening?

Attaching a photo of the affected section of the print as well as a section from the file itself.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also: MacOS Monterey (though this has happened with old OS's as well. This has also occured with my previous printer too, a Canon Pixma Pro 10.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cjstone707 wrote:

In any case, are there any ideas of why this might be happening?

Well yeah, it's the profile. Try RelCol. 

This isn't a Lightroom issue; the same RGB values with the same profile will output this way in any color managed product. 

There are no rules in how a perceptual rendering intent is produced. Just like transparency film. The maker can configure all kinds of edits to the table, some are better than others (subjectively). 

You should always test output using good color reference images designed for that task. The color reference images RGB values are such that they are set for output and are editing and display agnostic. Test the output this way and examine for the same color issues so we know it's not your image-specific issues causing the problems:
http://www.digitaldog.net/files/2014PrinterTestFileFlat.tif.zip

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! I’ll give this a try later today and will keep you posted.

—Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had my colors go bonkers on a regular basis on my Intel Mac with Monterey (and previous versions) and LrC and my Canon Pro-100 for awhile now.  Seems almost every Mac OS update messes things up.  I can still select the profiles but the prints come out with off colors.  A delete and reinstall of the Canon Pro-100 printer always solves the issue.  I would investigate more but I will be upgrading to an Apple Silicon Mac within a year so hopefully it will solve the issue.  It is odd as @TheDigitalDog doesn't have any issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bob Somrak wrote: It is odd as @TheDigitalDog doesn't have any issue. 

Maybe because I'm an Epson user....

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@TheDigitalDog   Could be.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines