Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some Lightroom exports not as sharp as Photoshop exports

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Some of my images are mushy when exported from Lightroom, but when I send them to PS and export from there at the same dimensions they are fine. ie. they are how they look in Lightroom on screen.

Even if the file size in PS is smaller, the image still looks sharper.
I need to export at 1024 x 681, at between 250 and 300 KB.

Any help appreciated! (except telling me to output at higher file size 😉 )

PS.jpgLR.jpgPhotoshop Export.jpgLightroom Export.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Output sharpening and creative sharpening are entirely different. Lightroom is designed with this in mind, and it's why there is a standard sharpening for each output, be it screen or for later printing to specific paper types. If you didn't require it, they wouldn't have included it. Not only that, it's based on the work of Bruce Fraser, who was the eminent expert on sharpening at the time of it's creation. 

TL;DR Use the output sharpening and it will solve your issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Sean already mentioned this but some clarification. The output sharpening in the export panel is completely different than the capture sharpening in the develop panel. The sharpening in develop deals with blurring inherent to the capture process caused by the Bayer mosaic in the sensor, the lenses, diffraction, etc. It works on the pixel level at the resolution of the camera. The output sharpening is meant to compensate for the blurring inherent to the downscaling of the image to the resolution

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic uses a different and less effecient compression algorithm than Photoshop. Therefore, the exported from Photoshop will be better than the LrC file for a given file size.

Have you tried using the High sharpening setting? It should help with the mushiness you mention, but file size will likely increase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is the compression algoritm in LrC worse than Photoshop.  Last time I checked they are both produced by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That they are both by Adobe doesn’t seem to matter. If you look inside Photoshop alone, you can find at least three different ways to export a JPEG: File > Save As/Save a Copy, File > Export > Export As, and File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy). Notice that the JPEG compression options each method offers are different, and even if you only look at the Quality option, they are different: Save As/Save a Copy uses a JPEG Quality scale from 0–12, the JPEG Quality scale of Export As is 1–7, and the JPEG Quality scale for Save for Web is 0–100!

I don’t have an explanation for those differences for the same function within a single application, except that some of those features are much newer than others, so different decisions may have been made at different points in history. But I suppose comparing multiple applications from Adobe is like looking at three cars all made by Ford: They might have different engines and different dashboards, even though they are all from the same company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Up! and the Chiron are both built by VAG... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ian.
This has been my suspicion - but (like DClark064) -  I find it very odd that they'd be that different.

I don't add Sharpening at Export as I already have sharpened the images +40 at 95% Masking, and feel images from a good camera shouldn't even need sharpening. I will try it though, just in case...!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to use output sharpening in Lightroom. It will give better results than the bicubic automatic mode in Photoshop. To be equivalent to the default in Photoshop, you need high screen sharpening typically. You also DO NOT want to use file size limitation in Lightroom, just use a quality setting like you are doing in Photoshop. The quality settings in Lightroom are equivalent to those in Photoshop just on a different scale of 0-100% instead of 0-7 (used to be 0-12). Lastly make sure to strip most of the metadata in Lightroom (like you are doing in Photoshop!). The setting "copyright and contact info" is usually what you want. If you keep all the camera raw data like you are doing, the final filesize is majorly inflated because it will save every edit and mask you generated in Lightroom in the metadata section. That will take 100kB in the final filesize easily!

The algorithm is the same. You are just saving all kinds of crud along with the image from Lightroom. The Export as panel strips all that by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jao!

I should have thought of that -  not sending Lightroom edit metadata - will definitely strip that out.

The reason i don't add Sharpening is because I've already added +40 at 95% Masking.
Surely images from a good camera (Nikon Z6ii) shouldn't need more sharpening than this??

I've tried it every which way with that quality setting versus the Limit File Size and found it made no difference.
My clients require smaller than 250 KB files, so I have to mess around with that slider to get the sweet spot with each image, which is horrendously slow process?
Just experimented with it and seemed to get decent quality at around 72%, giving roughly 200 KB file.

Great tips! - thank you so much! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean already mentioned this but some clarification. The output sharpening in the export panel is completely different than the capture sharpening in the develop panel. The sharpening in develop deals with blurring inherent to the capture process caused by the Bayer mosaic in the sensor, the lenses, diffraction, etc. It works on the pixel level at the resolution of the camera. The output sharpening is meant to compensate for the blurring inherent to the downscaling of the image to the resolution at which it will be viewed and the output device (a monitor vs a print). Interestingly when you downscale as much as you are doing, the capture sharpening is likely completely irrelevant to the appearance of sharpness. You are scaling a 6000 to 9000 (24 MP to 54 MP camera) pixel image on the long side down to 1024 pixels, which downscales ~50 pixels in the original into 1 pixel in the output. All of the effect of the develop sharpening will be completely blurred away after scaling that far down. It is probably quite irrelevant at 1024 pixels. When scaling down you need to use the output sharpening. Photoshop does this when use the bicubic automatic option. In Lightroom you have to specify it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brill - thanks so much for this.
I always thought that develop sharpening made marginal difference!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brill - thanks so much for this.
I always thought that develop sharpening made marginal difference!

By @michaelc21776769

The basis (and some of the processing) in Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom Classic in terms of sharpening comes from this source:

http://creativepro.com/out-of-gamut-thoughts-a-sharpening-workflow/ 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the Lightroom export you have set Limit file size to 275 kb.

When using this feature, Lightroom has to calculate what quality setting to use to keep the file size below 275 kb.

Lightroom doesn't tell you what quality setting has been used, and it could be that it is lower than the setting used in Photoshop. (relatively speaking, since they use different scales)

Exporting without metadata as mentioned by @Jao vdL will result in a higher quality setting.

You can also try using Low or Medium output sharpening for screen. Bot will increase the file size, but Low shouldn't add all that much to the file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Per

I think you're right, the quality setting is just lower than PS.
I am going to experiment with the Quality percentage slider again, and definitely going to strip out that un-needed metadata.
Sharpening has already been added, which is why i avoid it in Export.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Output sharpening and creative sharpening are entirely different. Lightroom is designed with this in mind, and it's why there is a standard sharpening for each output, be it screen or for later printing to specific paper types. If you didn't require it, they wouldn't have included it. Not only that, it's based on the work of Bruce Fraser, who was the eminent expert on sharpening at the time of it's creation. 

TL;DR Use the output sharpening and it will solve your issue. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is PS different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is PS different?

By @DClark064

The data is different, the processing color space and encoding are different, the bit depth can be different, and the settings for JPEG upon export are different. One is a pixel editor (PS) one is a parametric editor that renders edits in a fixed (not user) order upon export. One provides capture plus output sharpening tied between the two (LR) plus adaptive interpolation and the other doesn't. Apples and Oranges; you shouldn't expect the two to match, at least without massive testing of parameters to get 'close'. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you say is obviously true.  Adobe has control of the entire process.  Who should do the testing to get the two outputs to match.  The user (a.k.a. the customer) or Adobe? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you say is obviously true.  Adobe has control of the entire process.  Who should do the testing to get the two outputs to match.  The user (a.k.a. the customer) or Adobe? 

By @DClark064

Adobe doesn't suggest, nor should anyone expect that the two would match. There is no reason to expect or try to get a match. There are far too many differences in the data, workflow and design of each tool for anyone to expect a match. It's like asking why Adobe Camera Raw and Capture 1 don't (and can't) produce identical rendering from a raw. They differ. 

Could they get close? Maybe. Maybe not. Again, it depends on a multitude of factors: Raw or rendered (if the former, Photoshop can't even deal with that data), high bit? Linear color space for processing? Adaptive Resample or not? Capture plus output sharpening (one product can, one can't). 

Bottom line: use the right tool for the right job. For raw editing, that's simple. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The User. 100%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Sean, will use this, now that I understand the difference with Develop sharpening.

"If you didn't require it, they wouldn't have included it." - clearly you don't "require" it or they wouldn't have made it optional.
Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's optional, because that allows for sharpening to be performed in third party apps if the customer prefers.

But if you want to stay in Lr - it is indeed pretty much a necessity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bad. I was thinking in my head to mean that it's turned on with a Standard amount by default for a reason, but I guess it translated badly when shortened. @Jao vdL's fuller explanation obviously clears that up. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Interesting thread. My export from LrC is from an enhanced and edited raw image with additional processing in ON1 Raw.

Exported image data.Exported image data.Exported image.Exported image.Export settings.Export settings.Original image data of exported file.Original image data of exported file.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines