• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Sync settings, Auto WB keyboard shortcuts keep changing to export images

Contributor ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For many versions of  Lightroom, the sync settings keyboard shortcut (ctrl-shift-S) will randomly change exporting images. This first started many versions ago and is still happening in Version 8.3. I'm running Windows 10 Pro.

Trashing preferences temporarily fixes the issue, but of course, I then have to spend hours/days rebuilding all of my preferences since Adobe still doesn't have a preferences backup. 

Adobe Support has tried to fix this on numerous occasions but has yet to solve it. 

Corporate photographer based in Calgary, Canada and Oviedo, Spain. Making portraits, architectural, industrial and advertising photography for national and global brands.
Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
74 Comments
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having this problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue from time to time, it just seems random. Sometimes ctrl+u auto tunes, sometimes it exports.... Very annoying....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else have this Ctrl-U bug kick in again recently?  It happened several times over the past few days and the one most reliable means of fixing it seems to be shutting the program down and booting it back up.  And hoping my next backup isn't due to be performed on my next shut down.  🙂  It takes a bit longer to reboot it in that case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting LR's preferences:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

This has helped some (but not all) who have experienced this bug in the past. LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior. That article explains how to restore the old preferences if resetting doesn't help.

As for backups, you can disable them via Catalog Settings > General. Be sure to re-enable them when you've restarted LR!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More than two years after I also reported this issue and received advice from @johnrellis I finally had enough frustration with Ctrl+U. I found the courage to move the existing preferences file (thank you John and LightroomQueen). But this is a cockamamie fix. So far, it works (one test).
The main benefit I got in doing this was to re-explore the Lightroom interface. I found some new UI features that may help me. Nonetheless, I'll say again, this is a cockamamie fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"this is a cockamamie fix."

I agree. LR has a core design flaw in its implementation of the preferences file, which stores a lot more than just your explicit settings in Preferences.  LR sometimes corrupts the file, and when it does so, all sorts of screwy things can happen. 

Over the years, Adobe has indicated here that they've spent some time investigating the problem, but they haven't fixed it.  Given how often users are told here to "reset preferences" for such a wide range of problems, I'm sure Adobe understands the impact on users, but they've made a hard-headed calculation that it's not worth the presumably very large engineering cost to fix the flaw.

See here for some gory technical details:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-avoid-preferences-quot-corruption-quot-by-c...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem for years and reported it to Adobe many times, including today. No fix in sight. 

For me, Shift/Ctrl S, often switches from it's default of Sync, to Export Image. Again, I've reported it to Adobe many times over the years and still no fix. 

The work around is to reboot the computer and pray but I'm an aethiest so it doesn't always work. 

Corporate photographer based in Calgary, Canada and Oviedo, Spain. Making portraits, architectural, industrial and advertising photography for national and global brands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been running into this on and off for a while too.  I've been avoiding trying this out or resetting my preferences.  They at least need to make Lightroom easier to move and restore.  Not to mention all of the TSR's (background programs) they have just for licensing.  Unfortunately Lightroom fits my workflow better than any other program, and ever two years I try the competition so I can switch.  This forum even blocks my browser's built-in spellcheck.

https://johnrellis.com/lightroom/anyshortcut.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This forum even blocks my browser's built-in spellcheck."

Isn't that silly?  The Khoros forum platform rented by Adobe explicitly disables browser spell checking -- who knows what the product manager was thinking, but it shows their effective disregard for their customers' users.  Lots of people have complained about it in the Using The Community forum.

If you use these forums a lot you can re-enable browser spell checking with a simple user script:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community-discussions/re-enable-your-browser-s-spell-checki...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Khoros forum platform rented by Adobe explicitly disables browser spell checking

Probably because if it didn't, it wouldn't be able to force cringeworthy made-up words like "kudoed" on us...

I mean - do people really think that "kudos" are more than one "kudo"? Some sort of African antelope, or something? It is not a legitimate back-formation stemming from a mistaken belief that kudos is a plural, it's just plain wrong. You "give kudos" - you do not "kudo", and you have not "kudoed".

It's like nails down a blackboard, seeing that bloody "word" in my notifications. Someone, somewhere (and I'm looking at Adobe as well as Khoros), should be deeply embarrassed by that level of pure ignorance.  

(There. Feeling better now..! And the irony is not lost on me that I may well get kudoed all over again for this little rant! 😀)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I tried their ABC icon that I just noticed in their drab grey toolbar.  Even word 95 had color icons, btw.  And it just tells you what is spelled wrong BTW is spelled wrong. LOL  The tool distracts us from the real issue, the product.  At least this thread is indenting a little. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to 12.2.1 of Lightroom Classic, the shortcut CTRL + SHIFT + S that before was used to open Sync dialog, is now exporting files. Why, Adobe? In every single update there is an irritating bug? We do pay for you to deliver high-quality software and you deliver bugs and more bugs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the Lightroom Community @Junior2917866535tp. I'll help you figure this out.

What language is your Lightroom Classic & the operating system working with?

Lightroom has some keyboard shortcuts that are related to the module you're in. CTRL + S can change in the Web Module & Book module.

CTRL + SHIFT + S is used for Sync settings & CTRL + ALT + S is used to Sync settings bypassing Synchronize Settings dialog box. Check this to learn more: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/keyboard-shortcuts.html

As a test, use the On-screen keyboard on Windows to check if the key press is being recorded as expected. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been more than a few reports about this over the past many years. But Adobe has never been able to reproduce it, and until they can, it's not likely to be fixed.

Try resetting LR's preferences:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior. That article explains how to restore the old preferences if resetting doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, another person reported that uninstalling/reinstalling fixed the problem.  Try using the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner tool to completely uninstall all Adobe apps and then reinstall them with the Creative Cloud App.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug,  and other shortcut randomness, have  been around for years.  I've personally reported them to Adobe many times they don't have a clue how to fix it.  

The easiest solution it to reboot  LR, then try rebooting your computer.  If those don't fix it then try deleting preferences then try uninstall and reinstall.  

Report back what happens.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rebooting, reinstalling, resettings preferences is NOT an acceptable solution.  It takes me several hours to redo my settings, plug-ins, options, etc.  They place these files all over the place and keep moving them (PC.)  IMO, Adobe needs to redo their entire approach to keyboard input.  It prevents using USB devices and controllers to improve work flow.  They even have keyboard remapping capability in Photoshop.  I had programs that did this in the 90's and it is 2023 afterall! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Totally agree with you.

Votes

Translate

Translate