• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Somehow I got my External HD to show up in Navigator, but with a message

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened an older external HD a few days ago and it seems that it's replaced my newer external HD in LRC navigator. None of my image files are showing up unless I go into Finder and re-import the image.

Anyway, I've been trouble shooting following some of the answers in this Community and now it's back in Navigator but, I do not know how to answer this question:

Screenshot attached.

I am running the latest version of MAC OS Montery and LRC

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain in more detail what you did? Lightroom uses a simple 'path' to the images, so it says "the image is on a disk called 'A' in a folder called 'B' in a subfolder called 'C'". If you attach on old disk that also is called 'A', then Lightroom will look for the images on that disk. It does not know this is not the same disk. If the images happen to be on that old disk too, then everything will work as expected, but Lightroom will see different metadata written to the images if it does always write metadata to xmp.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I plugged in and opened an old External HD, it appears that LRC is using this one now and it's not showing my current External HD in the LRC Navigator, I can see the HD but it's not highlighted and won't let me click on it.

Even though everything is updated to the current Mac OS Montery and LRC 11.3.1, I'm attaching a screenshot of what it says I'm currently using.

I still have the message on my screen asking if I should over write the settings or Import from the Disk becausse I'm afraid of choosing the wrong one.

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unplug the old disk, or rename it. Restart and everything should be fine.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been unplugged, I just restarted my computer and nothing has changed. Navigator shows my External HD but not the folders or images within.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@judyd48784817 wrote:

It's been unplugged, I just restarted my computer and nothing has changed. Navigator shows my External HD but not the folders or images within.

Does it show those folders as being on one of the two unplugged disks below? If so, you need to 'relink' these folders to the correct HD: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/

If not, then you may have removed them from the catalog in your attempt to fix this. Do you have a catalog backup from just before this happened? Replacing your current catalog by a backup copy may be the easiest way to solve this, and is the only way if you did indeed remove folders inadvertently.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You!  I was able to restore the backup from before I plugged it the old external HD. However, in LR it's using said photos from the Mac HD and not the External HD. I need to get the HD, Judy's Photos back into the Navigator Catalog. 

Should I just make a new folder titled Judy's Photos and load the photos from the External HD into it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

NO! Do not import pictures again! Post a screenshot and explain what exactly is still wrong. You probably simply have to 'relink' them as described in the link I gave you, but if Lightroom does not show them as 'missing' but on the wrong disk, then the menu to relink these folders is not 'Find Missing Folder', but 'Update Folder Location'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DO NOT RE-IMPORT!

DO NOT RE-IMPORT!

DO NOT RE-IMPORT!

As Johan says, you need to explain in more detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have an image that was modified, and the changes don't match what are in the catalog. You have to make the decision as to whether to accept the changes in the image or keep the changes that are in the catalog. It's just on that one image. This happens to me occasionally, and I don't know why. Perhaps I forget that I modified the image in Camera Raw. It really isn't a big deal, in my opinion. I usually describe the changes and keep what is already in the catalog and proceed from that point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the images in the catalog would include all the edits I've done on them correct?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images are not "in" the catalog. The rest of images have adjustments that correspond with what is in the catalog. This particular image has adjustments that do not correspond. Whatever choice you make will synchronize that image with the catalog, and then you can move on from that point. It's only a decision to make with that one image, so it isn't going to slow things down much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I know I've already posted her but, it's still not resolved and I don't know what to do.

MacOS Montery 12.4

LRc 11.3.1

Ever since I plugged in and opened up some old images from an older External HD, Navigator is no longer showing my anything from my newer External HD.  In the screenshot, you can see that HD highlighted, and it shows a few hundred photos when it really has thousands. 

I really don't know what to do, I need it back the way it was before I plugged in the old HD 😞

Thank you for any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines