• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something has been wrong while re-import photos.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below is what I've done today.

- Remove some folders from catalog

- Move those folders to other location in Finder

- Re-import the folders to organize files in date folders. Number of photo is about 5700.

- Move other very big folders to other location in Finder

- While import is in progress, remove newly moved big folders which are link-lost state in LRC

- After some time passed, removing job is disappeared from progress bar while linkless folders are still there.

- After hours passed, import progress bar does not change at all.

- Quit LRC and re-launch. (Not force quit. I clicked Yes to the answer that current jobs will be stopped.)

At this point, there is no progress bars at all.

But import button is inactive, Sync Folder menu is not displayed on folder context menu, LRC is using CPU quite a lot.

- After another hours passed, tryed optimize catalog.

Optimazing catalog popup is running for hours with high CPU usage.

Will everything be ok if I wait a long long time?

Or should I do something?

Please help me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Oh it just started to continue importing.

Lessen learned: Do not touch LrC while you do some big batch job. If you messed up, just wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Import has been known to stop on large volumes of files. I don't know why, but I suspect your drive has gone to sleep.

Your are using 100% the wrong approach to move file to another folder. Remove and re-import is not needed. All you need is to Update Folder Location, as explained in "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location" here.

Important concept: NEVER NEVER NEVER re-import photos, it is always a bad thing to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which exact version (number, not latest or alike) of LrC are you using?

Are you aware that all the work on the photos is lost if you re-import them?

Are you using copy to re-import with the idea to change the folder structure?

Please elaborate on your target.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using 10.3.

I am aware of all the works on photos are lost.

I used to use Apple Photos but it has so many issues that prevents my photo management so I recently started to use LrC.

The photos I tried to re-import are from library of Apple Photos, and I'm trying to rebuild folder structure.

By last night, I created folders manually and move photos by drag and drop, but it was too much manual job because Apple put photos into folder of imported date, not capture date.

I have to create more than 20 folders for almost every month, and I'm migrating 12 years of photo library.

It was my fault that I didn't choose date option when I first import my old library...

Anyway, currently all photos are already moved into proper date folders, but LrC catalog is not showing them.

If possible, I'd like to import them from the scratch, without touching anything, but removing folder is not working now.

Is there any way to reset my catalog?

It's impossible to do it from the scratch because there are works on recent photos which I didn't put in Apple's library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh it just started to continue importing.

Lessen learned: Do not touch LrC while you do some big batch job. If you messed up, just wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import has been known to stop on large volumes of files. I don't know why, but I suspect your drive has gone to sleep.

Your are using 100% the wrong approach to move file to another folder. Remove and re-import is not needed. All you need is to Update Folder Location, as explained in "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location" here.

Important concept: NEVER NEVER NEVER re-import photos, it is always a bad thing to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying.

Updating folder location couldn't solve my situation because old library has this folder structure, and 2007/01/01 can have 2006's photos, because Apple Photos put photos in imported date folder.

If I import photos once a month, I should create 30 folders on the month and move them day by day using date filter.

Actually I did it for 3 years of photos last night, which takes very very long time.

If I've done any work on photo, I wouldn't try re-import.

Is there any other reason not to re-import than possibility of losing work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any other reason not to re-import than possibility of losing work?

There are other reasons. People have re-imported photos, and wind up with two copies of a photo in the catalog with different edits and/or different metadata, this leads to confusion. But the primary reason not to re-import is that it is never necessary; it is a bad habit, and should be avoided.

Updating folder location couldn't solve my situation because old library has this folder structure, and 2007/01/01 can have 2006's photos, because Apple Photos put photos in imported date folder.

Updating folder location (or other methods in the paper I linked to) does fix this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh thanks a lot for detailed explanation. I might missed the link in your previous reply.

I'll read carefully the tutorial you provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of curiosity ...

Why are you creating such a detailled folder structure?

For LrC, and if you know how to work in LrC, there is absolutely no need for that. 

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh... Maybe I don't know how to work in LrC well. (Seriously) 

It's just 3 months I started using it.

I found my old library has a lot of duplicates which wastes a lot of my storage.

I imported with option 'Not import suspected duplicates', and then I'm not sure what file I can remove from storage.

If I try to move some photos which are not in right place, LrC says "There is already same photo".

Because some duplicates are imported prior to right folder, they are skipped when LrC imports right folder.

There are so many folders with this problem, so I wanted to organize folders that my brain can understand.

I have watched several video clips about LrC, but I think I still does not know effective way to manage massive photo library.

I'll be appreciate if you can recommend any material to understand LrC better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines