sorting photo's in JPEG on another map/drive

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi When I export my photo's from LR classic to JPEG in a new folder I select always the time stamp of the photo. When I select these photo's and copy them to a externall drive or map it doesn't use the time stamp correctly. I work with two the same camera's with different lenses and what I've notice is that instead of using the time stamp (the time I take the picture) it sorts the photo's by type of lens or photonumber instead of the time stamp. is this a known bug or is there something wrong with the timestamp field in the jPEG photo's?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This depends on the method used to look at the photos that you have exported. Most often, the time of photo capture ("date taken") is not the default sort sequence and this may not even be displayed in the standard file Details view. Certainly on Windows one can make that visible as a column, and then sort by that column. One way to make the exports universally easy to sort sequentially in that same way, is to prefix the exported image file names with the date of capture, in a standard format that sorts sequentially. I prefer YYYY-MM-DD, e.g. today is 2022-08-23. After that one can put in the numerical part of the original file name / the whole original file name, or whatever .

The result of this will be all the photos taken on a given date grouped in the sort, then within that day, sorted by whatever comes next in these constructed filenames. Perhaps capture hour and minute. Then if the two camera bodies have got properly synchronised clocks (and timezones) photos will interleave properly. If it's the original camera file numbering, then that will in itself denote the shooting sequence but not so good if multiple camera bodies involved. One could push one camera's auto picture numering up into a much higher number range, then within each day's shooting you would sort in sequence first all one body's photos, and then all the other body's photos. But whatever later happens to these exports, their shooting date is always very apparent just from the filename - without worrying about support for specific other metadata fields.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Save time with Adobe Express quick actions