• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Source Files deleted after cancelling an import???

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was importing files into Lightroom classic CC to edit from a source folder on my desktop, and after selecting the images I wanted to use I clicked import. However, I then noticed that the 'import to' folder was not the correct one, so pressed on the x to cancel the import. Now the original Source folder is missing all the images that I had selected to edit and only contains the rejected images. 40 of the 200 or so selected images had been imported to the incorrect folder before I clicked cancel, and at least I know where that is so I can still use them, but I can't find the rest of the images. I'm running MAC OS High Sierra and I don't have a backup of these files, does anyone know what could have happened to them and where I can find the files? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use your operating system's search feature to search for these photos by file name. Make sure to have the search look at all folders on all hard disks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tried this, and the system cannot find the files anywhere on my system. Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try relaunching the 'Finder' by Cmd+Option+Esc, then select Finder followed by hitting the Relaunch button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was one of the first things I tried but unfortunately it didn't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can recover the original images from the memory card?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately no, I transferred the files to my desktop for later editing as I needed to wipe my memory card. Has this happened to anyone before?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The circumstances were been different, but yes it has happened before. That being said, I've read of instances where the lost files have been found by exposing all invisible files using an application such as 'Cocktail' Cocktail - A perfect mixture for macOS

invisible files.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll have a look at that program

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happened to me. Did you ever have any luck finding the files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ans I assume you looked in the folder that you were accidentally importing to? As in accidental selected MOVE instead of Copy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happend to me too. In my case i had the source folder to be the target folder. I noticed my mistake and canceled the import and was left with just 4 imported pictures because the original source files got deleted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you haven't added any new files since, they should be recoverable using disk recovery software. Not the answer, but hopefully helpful.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just happened to me this morning. I'm on LR 6.13, moved JPGs on Import but realized I moved to a wrong location so I hit Undo. When I go to the original location, all the files are gone. What's crazy is I have files in this SD card from 3 different cameras (Z6II, X100V and XPro3) and LR just deleted the ones from my Fuji! The NEFs from Nikon are there but the Fuji JPGs are gone. To make matters worse, I just formatted the SD card in my XPro3!! Is there a way to recover JPGs from the card after being formatted?  Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Card recovery is the easiest. There's tonnes of software out there for this. Sandisk even give free licenses with each card you buy. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Tried that but it only recovered thumbnail jpg's not the raw files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines