• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spherical Aberration in LRC in Side By Side Comparisons with Canon Raw to JPG Images

Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just shot my new Canon R3 and while reviewing the images in LRC, shot in both raw and jpg, noticed an aberration. I see a convex, spherical aberration in the images.  I seem them regardless of enabling the lens corrections or not. The lens is a Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8, not wide enough to see a fisheye effect.

What would cause this?

I've attached two identical photos, one screen capture of the raw one, and the jpg shot in-camera at the same time. Open them both up and click on one, then the other, and you'll see the distortion.

ALSO - why do the thumbnail image number, and the file number below the large image viewer, show different file numbers?? Shouldn't they be the same?? I've attached that image too (Screenshot.)

Here's my tech info

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac Pro

Model Identifier: iMacPro1,1

Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Xeon W

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 1 MB

L3 Cache: 11 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 64 GB

System Firmware Version: 1731.100.130.0.0 (iBridge: 19.16.14243.0.0,0)

LRC:

11.4.1  Camera Raw: 14.4.1

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your second image showing the filmstrip, you are conflating an image file name with a LrC index number. That index number is not metadata, it just informs you that 46 is the 46th image in the current filmstrip. Just a considense that it is close to the filename.

GoldingD_0-1660786573119.png

If it irritates you, it can be turned off:

https://laurashoe.com/2019/08/13/whats-new-in-lightroom-classic-8-4-august-2019-batch-photomerge-pro...

Note: Do not mark this reply as correct as it only talks to just your add on annoyance, not your actual problem. Marking this reply as correct could cut down on members interest in replying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for the convex, spherical aberration , I do not see it, maybe my vision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input. Maybe a screen recording will help. Let me know.

Shawn
Get Outlook for iOS<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video would indeed be better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, here is a screen capture of me clicking between two photos - a raw and a jpg of the same photo. You should be able to see the aberration happening.

Thank you.

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see a vignette issue. So, Ok, a form of spherical aberration, but not a fisheye sort of thing.

Look in your Develop module, any lens correction applied, perhaps increasing the vignette.

Also, I  otice that you are using smart preview, wonder if that has some effect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

richardplondon_0-1660802177985.png

This is an overlay in Photoshop with one image set to "Difference" blending mode. Once the two are scaled and positioned as close to the same as possible, flicking between the two versions the differences are negligible IMO and in particular, don't seem to happen in a fisheye type systematic pattern.

Perhaps the two versions seemed different, due to slightly different effective crops? Sometimes a JPG / a Raw uses a different boundary for what it shows from the camera sensor. Then when both versions are scaled to the same output dimensions and compared, the picture content will naturally show as if zoomed slightly larger in one, than in the other. Depending which part of the picture we watch, that can seem like a distortion but I don't think the above overlay supports any large difference in the aberration corrections being applied.

To me, it's plenty close enough unless your overriding aim is to identically match the camera JPG. If that was your overriding aim then the pragmatic thing would be to just use the camera JPG: chasing after such a goal can often be fruitless.

We shoot Raw AFAICT when we want to explore different output and adjustment opportunities, outside of what the camera JPG can give us. "Different" and "identical" are hard to simultaneously deliver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines