• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spinning Beach Ball on Startup

Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I've been having an issue on startup for the last couple of weeks. When I launch LRC (10.3), the app launches, grid mode with images is displayed, shortly followed by a spinning beach ball for a few minutes. If I force quit the app and launch again, it launches normally and is fully functional within 30-60 seconds.

I have tried: removing LRC, restarting computer, reinstalling LRC. I have tried deleting the preferences file. I have tried moving the catalogue from external SSD to the internal drive, no change.

The issue isn't catalogue specific - my main one has ~200,000 images, but if I launch with a 3,000 image catalogue, it is the same issue.

MacOS 11.5.2 

LRC 10.3

Wacom Intuos Pro M, up to date drivers 

All plugins in LRC disabled, no Logitech plugin etc.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wacom Intuos Pro M, up to date drivers 

Diagnostic measure, remove  the Wacom, turn it off. See if LrC behaves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, do you have any Android devices connected? Perhaps a smartphone? Disconnect and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After those two known suspects, try whatever remaining external devices you have connected, card reader, camera, hard drives, etc, looking for one or a cable that is failing. LrC just might trip up on one before the OS notices.

As you have a catalog on your internal, you could use that one in the test, ignoring any issue due to photos being on external drive, point is to see if the spinning ball gies  away. Then put things back together one part at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thank you for your replies, your ideas make sense - a failing cable or drive. 

I have unplugged all devices (Wacom plus the external SSD with primary catalog). It's been hit and miss - once or twice LrC has started without issue, but the other times, probably 3/4 of the time, the issue persists. I timed it to see how long it actually takes when it works. With the primary catalog on the internal drive (I copied it to the internal just in case something is failing), it took 15 seconds from launch to being useable. 

I wonder what has changed to see this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A small update for LrC this morning, v10.4, includes a few bug fixes. Perhaps??

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/fixed-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue in (ref 1), solution was to disable use graphics processor.

LrC GPU FAQ in (ref 2)

Troubleshoot LrC GPU issues in (ref 3)

A manual way to turn that option off is provided in (ref 3)

(ref 1): Adobe Community | always a spinning wheel at startup

(ref 2): Adobe | Lightroom Classic GPU FAQ

(ref 3): Adobe | Troubleshoot graphics processor (GPU) and graphics driver issues | Lightroom Classic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thank you for your detaild replies. Unforunately, updating the app and disabling the GPU acceleration has not changed LRc's behaviour. I find it weird that after a force quit it will then start normally. Any thoughts on why that might be? I also took a screenshot of the activity monitor, which shows some faults, but I don't know how to interpret what it means.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any new insights?

Having similar issue. None of the mentioned solutions help.

Spinning beach ball with activity monitor showing Lightroom (11.1) unreponsive and with 100% of  CPU for about 3 minutes shortly after starting (macOS 11.6.2). Then no more hangs,  everything is fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

I reinstalled the operating system and then the software, this resolved the issue with startup. So essentially, I don't know what the issue was, so I started again. I'm using the same catalog as I was previously, no issues there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines