Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spot removal on area within mask?

Enthusiast ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A question came up today. 

Image of a swan head with sky in the background.  Between swan and sky are a couple weeds sticking up behind head.

I can do a select subject and get the swan.  And clean it up with a brush.  And invert it so the sky has a good selection.  But HOW do I do the spot removal while in a mask?

I DON'T KNOW of any way to do this in Lightroom, but it's very simple and straightforward in Photoshop.

IS there a way to do operations like spot removal from within a mask?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

No, the Spot Removal Tool is not available while in the Masking panel.

You only have Spotting tool options. eg. Feather & Size. Clone or Heal.

Good suggestion though!

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/ct-p/ct-lightroom-classic?page=1&sort=latest_replies&filter=all&lang=all&tabid=ideas

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the Spot Removal Tool is not available while in the Masking panel.

You only have Spotting tool options. eg. Feather & Size. Clone or Heal.

Good suggestion though!

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/ct-p/ct-lightroom-classic?page=1&sort=latest_replie...

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do the spot removal before you start masking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes you can't do it very well without the masking.  Or, its just a lot EASIER with a mask. 

I couldn't think of a way to do it in Lightroom, but I was hoping I'd missed some feature.  That'll be one of the capabilities I'll have to let all the folks in the Lightroom class know is best left to Photoshop.

Thanks for confirming what I thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm missing something, but can't you do the spot removal after masking, with the masking panel closed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Per Berntsen Yes, that makes sense as well, however it is my understanding (and maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong) that the design was to do spot removal BEFORE masking, and that things don't always work properly if you do the spot removal after masking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, healing / cloning must be done before applying any AI based mask (i.e. sky or subject). Below is an example of what happens if the healing / cloning is applied after the AI mask.

89um1wipsyhx.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks @Ian Lyons so this issue with cloning just applies to the AI masks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Ai only. If this wasn't the case, then millions of images with previous generation of masks would have a similar problem to that displayed in above screenshot.

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I guess the problem here is that the bird is not part of the sky selection, or is only partially selected.

If that's the case, it could have been added to the mask using a brush before cloning.

Removing dust spots from masked skies works fine for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines