• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Status of Apple Neural Engine Use?

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to follow up on this topic as it's been radio silence on it for nearly 8 months since AI DeNoise was launched.  In the meantime we've not only had multiple updates by Apple to Ventura, we've also had the release of MacOS Sonoma which is rapidly approaching the release of version 14.2.  

While I have pretty much left Topaz behind with the release of Adobe's DeNoise and my dissatisfaction with earlier releases of PhotoAI, I just checked it again and with their model updates its now back to being the equal of Adobe's Denoise, but it's a lot faster--it takes less than half the time to process a file on my M2 Ultra with Topaz as it does with Adobe DeNoise.  They are using the Apple Neural Engine, regardless of any bugs--and this is confirmed as I can monitor the power draw of the neural engines in the console as I process images.  DxO is also using the neural engines.  Clearly there are ways to work around the bugs, or these companies have already taken advantage of an Apple fix that we don't know about. 

Can we get ANY update from Adobe on this topic?  Is it still broken on the MacOS side?  Is there a timeline for any future use of this on the Mac?  Right now its quite fast, but its clear it could be a lot faster using the ANE (something even Adobe mentioned at release).

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same question over here.  I have started trying to incorporate AI denoise into my timelapse work on an M1 Max but...the time it takes to apply to hundreds of images is maddening.  And occassionally I'll find errors in random frames of the timelapse and have to back and tweak the whole process over again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to know too. I have a Mac Mini M1 2020. I'm not thrilled with Topaz and DxO for various reasons, but it takes me 2-3 minutes to process 1 picture in LR. Although I prefer the results thru LR, I have too many photos to process at one time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2024 Feb 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very frustrating that adobe and apple have not addressed this issue, especially Apple. They market the heck out of neural engine as the best new thing,  it then make it impossible for it to be used due to bugs. I had to process 400 images using AI Denoise and it took three hours! My understanding is the neural engine could do it in 25-30 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2024 Feb 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point I put more on Adobe for this as both Topaz and DxO have workarounds for whatever issue is there that lets them use the ANE.  You can monitor it in the console and confirm this.  I stopped using Topaz PhotoAI when Adobe released this becuase they were atually behind Adobe, but when I just looked again at the newest version its massively improved and now is better than Adobe's in some ways, and faster.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How much faster is it? Right now it take's Camera RAW 28 seconds to process AI Denoise a 24MP Canon R3 file. I rutinely process 200-300 images at a time for clients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines