Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stop keywords from sorting alphbetically

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I'm entering keywords in the Keywording box in the Library module. Usually I find that the auto sorting by alphabet to be handy. But.....

I am now entering keywords (person's name) for family events. Alphabetizing just screws things  up. For example I have a photo with say 5 people in it, Eric, Sue, Bill, Sharon, and Tyler. (You can do the alphbetizing).  Once the alphbetizing takes place a stranger or future familly member has no idea who Eric, Bill or Tyler is. I'm forced to Eric (making face at Sue), Sue (in the blue mini-mini-dress), Sharon (to the right of Sue in gown), Bill (drinking beer out of the tap), ........  It really sucks when there are 10 people and you've got 50 photos of the event.

Is there a way to turn alphabetizing off for certain photos? 

Eric

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is there a way to turn alphabetizing off for certain photos?"

Unfortunately not. Many people have asked for it, mainly for the purpose of keywording for stock photo agencies:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-custom-sort-order-of-keywords-instead-of-al... 

Though Adobe has marked that feature request as "Released", in fact all they did was a minimal feature that preserved keyword order (sort of) when sending photos to Adobe Stock, but no other agency.  So it won't help you (or most of the people who requested that feature).

So consider a couple other suggestions:

- Use face recognition to annotate your photos with face rectangles labeled with the people's names.

- Put the order of people in the caption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once the alphbetizing takes place a stranger or future familly member has no idea who Eric, Bill or Tyler is.

As @johnrellis says, can you use captions to identify them by putting their name in order of appearance in the photo? Seems like more of a natural tool than keywords.

Most media outlets do this for things like social pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My system for Person Naming and Keywords is to use-  {SURNAME_Firstname}

At least then all SMITH Family names will Sort-

SMITH_Bill

SMITH_John

SMITH_William

And it makes it so much easier to name people in the Find Faces screen as I can start typing "SMI..." and all the SMITH family show if [Auto Complete Text....] is turned on in Preferences. Then I select who it is in the SMITH family.

Rob_Cullen_0-1638516122597.png

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines