Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange CR3 previews in Lightroom Classic

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all.
I'm editing CR3 files for the first time in LR Classic.  It's the latest version, and I'm running Mac osx 12.5.1 on a new iMac Pro 27" (2022).

Something strange started to happen on the second day of editing. When I select a photo that I have already edited it takes about a second for it to apply the develop settings.  Sometimes it won't even do it until I zoom in. 

Just to be clear, the develop settings are all correct, but the preview takes a second to show up properly.  And it's not showing me a resetted raw version of the image until the corrected preview appears, it's an overexposed version of the edit.  Very strange.  So when I'm looking at the row of thumbnails at the bottom they all look way overexposed until I select an image and wait a second.  

Then the moment I move to another photo, the thumbnail and image both go back to the overexposed preview.

Anyone else having this problem?  Resintalled LR Classic, reset all the settings, palyed with the performace settings, and still have the same problem.

Any advice will save the day.  Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do Help > System Info and copy/paste the first ten lines here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic version: 11.5 [ 202208080927-8a575c91 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-CA
Operating system: Mac OS 12
Version: 12.5.1 [21G83]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 3.8GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 32,768.0 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you disable GPU in your preferences, any difference? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.
I didn't see an option for DPU in the LR preferences.  Where should I be looking?  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.
I didn't see an option for DPU in the LR preferences.  Where should I be looking?  Thanks.

By @dustinRphoto

Preference> Performance. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah of course... I was looking for a checkbox next to GPU... Didn't realize Grapics Processor had options.

I tried auto, custom and off and nothing changed.  I restarted LR each time I changed options just to be sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If not, recalibrate and build a new ICC display profile, the old one might be corrupted.

If you are using software/hardware for this task, be sure the software is set to build a matrix not LUT profile, Version 2 not Version 4 profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I'll recalibrate now.  I use the X-Rite i1 Display Pro.

I've also noticed that when I look at an image full screen in LR it doesn't "snap" into the crisp preview unless I zoom in.  Then when I zoom back out sometimes it reverts to the lower res looking image.  Sometimes zooming in isn't enough and I have zoom in and grab the image with the mouse and move it around.  

It's all just very slow with the CR3 files.  I thought the new iMac Pro would be fast enough but it is laggy in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it isn't the display profile, it sure sounds like something wonky with the previews and how they are built although, in Develop, they are unique to all other modules. To be clear, the issue only shows there? 

If all else fails, reset prefs:

Try resetting your Lightroom preferences:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html
Also see: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/important-steps-for-manually-resetting-...

Quit Lightroom Classic.
MacOS: Press and hold the Shift + Option keys.
Windows: Press and hold the Shift + Alt keys.
While holding down the keys, launch Lightroom Classic.
When asked, select "Yes". 

Optimize Catalog. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about this happening in the Library Module or the Develop Module?

Show us screen captures to illustrate the problem. Use the "Insert Photos" icon to include your screen captures (do not attach files).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice it more in the Develop module because it affects my workflow while diting the images.  
I can't paste here unfortunately because it's for a big client and I can't show anything until they get released... 
But when it happens, the images look like they're about 2 stops overexposed until the preview loads properly.  And most of the time it will only load properly once I zoom in.

It doesn't happen with every image, only the ones that I've had to adjust the exposure more than usual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried going from Develop to Libray, it said "loading" for about a second and it went to the proper looking preview.  Then I can zoom in and go full screen and it always looks great.  

Whereas in Develop I have to zoom in etc... and in full screen it's hard to get it to snap to the crisp preview.  And every time I go to the next image and back,  it happens all over again every single time.   But in Library once it loads the preview the first time, it seems to keep it when I leave that image and come back.

PS - I recalibrated my display and it didn't fix anything in LR.  BUT I was overdue for a callibration, so thanks for the suggestion 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All you've just reported are to be expected (loading in other modules, Develop looking sharper at 1:1 or greater), it is the lag/delay that may be an issue. What size are raws, can we get a copy and paste from MacOS of the hardware? 

IF you were to export a number of raws using Export as Catalog, then create a new catalog and "Import as Catalog", does this lag still present itself? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I was on a call with Adobe support last week he tried to export as catalogue and reimport but it didn't fix it.  I went as far as to create an entirely new catalogue, reimport some of the same raw files, edited them and still had the issue.

The raw files are bigger than I'm used to because tt was my first shoot with the Canon R5.  They're 8192x5464 and about 50mb

Not sure which hardware info would be helpful but here is the Hardware Overview in System Information:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac20,2

Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 3.8 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 16 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 32 GB

System Firmware Version: 1731.140.2.0.0 (iBridge: 19.16.16066.0.0,0)

OS Loader Version: 540.120.3~19

Hardware UUID: CF18B884-4B88-5D5E-8E8A-4A399773E376

Provisioning UDID: CF18B884-4B88-5D5E-8E8A-4A399773E376

Activation Lock Status: Disabled

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dustinRphoto wrote:

The raw files are bigger than I'm used to because tt was my first shoot with the Canon R5.  They're 8192x5464 and about 50mb

So non-Canon R5 raws are fine? 

Not sure it's simply the much (?) bigger raws and if you want to dig deeper.... 

Try logging into another account (you may need to make one), any difference? 
Try starting up in Safe mode (hold down Shift Key when booting), any difference?
You might want to try running a free utility like Onyx: still any difference?
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
Also view:
https://www.macworld.com/article/352902/onyx-review-macos.html
https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah it's just these files.  5D MK4 raw files never did this.
I'll try what you suggested above.  Thanks!

I just noticed a past post you mentioned resetting the LR prefs and optimize the catalogue.  Tried that when I was chatting with Adobe last week and it didn't change.

One thing that they did was create smart previews which I had never done before.  It didn't fix the issue but I've always wondered the best settings for creating smart previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! So I did an experiment with smart previews that seemed to work, but I have a question for you.

I created Smart Previews then unmounted the external drive that contains the original raw files.  I was able to view and edit the smart previews a lot quicker and didn't have the lagging that I had been dealing with while working on CR3 files.

I plugged the external drive back in  and now under the histogram is says Orginal + Smart Preview, and since it started lagging again I have a feeling it's still working from the original raw file.

My question for you is, can I create smart previews and force LR to work from these files instead of the raw files WITHOUT having to unmount the drive where the originals are located? 

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer is yes. 
The idea behind Smart Previews is the ability to edit with the raws offline but you do so with them online as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done some more playing around and it really does seem that as long as the raw file is online, it will default to make edits to the raw file which is slower than editing the Smart Preview.  I haven't been able to find anything about how to make it default to the Smart Preview.  Any ideas?

I really appreciate all of your replies today!  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, you may see a speed increase with Smart Previews as the number of pixels that need to be loaded and rendered is smaller than the actual photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

makes sense.  Any idea if I can get LR to default to load the Smart Previews instead of the raw file?  I know it will work if I unplug the drive with the raw files, but then I won't have access to everythign else on the drive while I'm working in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning.
Thanks for the link.  It pointed out that I can just rename the folder where the raw files are instea of having to eject the drive altogether.

I'm sorry to keep bothering you with issues but I can't figure out how to create full size Smart Previews.  Right now when I create Smart Previews they can't zoom in to 100%.  I tried creating 1:1 previews but those don't work unless the original raw files are available.  And under Catalogue Settings/File Handling I thought if I selected Auto(4096) it would create Smart Previews at that size, but it doesn't.

I've looked up so many Smart Preview tutorials and they all say that they are created at full size.  But mine aren't.  Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Full size Smart Previews? A bit of a syntax issue. Full size means not zoomed in. Think of it as Standard. As for 1:1 as in 1:1 previews, in Develop that is 100% via Navigator, note that when you select 100% (i.e. 1:1) it zooms in. And yep, you zoom in, the Smart Preview is not in use. Nothing to figure out, you can not do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines