• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Subfolders displayed with the folder as "Folder\Subfolder" when created outside of LRC

Contributor ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all

One of my community member has this issue. The subfolders are not displayed correctly. You should have PHOTOS 2022 and inside PHOTOS 2022 you should have all the subfolders.  I have checked the structure on the Disk. On the disk you have a PHOTOS 2022 folder and inside it the subfolders. Resetting the pref seems to have no impact. The PHOTOS 2022 and the subfolders has been created outside Lightroom. If you import and let LRC create the folders there is no issue. Any idea is welcome šŸ˜‰ 

272985531_10217129264538520_3642652503786684663_n.jpg

Sheepdog trying to help Lightroom and Photoshop beginners
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Try right-clicking on each of the PHOTOS 2022\ folders and select 'Show Parent Folder.'

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try right-clicking on each of the PHOTOS 2022\ folders and select 'Show Parent Folder.'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. It did the trick. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might not be relevant, but- Do NOT use the [ \ ] character in Folder names.

Rob_Cullen_0-1644879011714.png

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed - I would go further, it's IMO unwise to use any such characters for folders or for file names and the like anyway, not just so far as Lightroom is concerned. They may be apparently fine but then still cause problems when you, or other people, try to use them in another context.

I would go further still and advise against any remotely special character for anything that may be involved in later processing of any kind. Outright text content is OK (such as a caption or a notes field, or the words inside a text document - all applications know to surround that sort of thing with quote-marks - to only handle it with thick metaphorical gloves).

To give an idea: I had an task some time ago, to use a utility to archive a lot of emails as separate files on disk (in "msg" format). That was fine except that one correspondent liked to punctuate the subject lines of his emails with semi-colons. Seems trivial, and the email system had no problem with this. But now this email subject had to be used in the new filename, thus every email that included such semicolon(s) needed manual editing within the email system console, to replace those with the commas they always should have been. Otherwise each one would generate a separate error and separately refuse to archive. That also included every reply or forward to these same emails, if it had quoted the problematic subject line. So HIS eccentric and innocent whim, cost ME many hours of completely needless and increasingly testy toil!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but There is no special characters in the folder name. LRC just don't display the folder and subfolder correctly 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason for the comment, was that your screenshot seems to show some folder names that include a \ character. For comparison, this is how my own folders panel looks inside Lightroom Classic: 

Screenshot 2022-02-15 142810.jpg

So, there is no folder named "2022\02" - there is a hierarchy, and I can click to open and close parts of that. There's a folder named "2022" and inside that, a subfolder which I have named named just "02" tout court. That subfolder could have been named "2022-02" instead, or "2022_02", but I don't think Lightroom or Windows would have permitted me to actually name that folder "2022\02". In situations where a folder is shown "orphaned", you would expect to see only its direct name. Then "show parent" will reveal its true parentage and these folders can then rearrange themselves to show the right arrangement. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but There is no special characters in the folder name. LRC just don't display the folder and subfolder correctly 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does the LrC Folders panel look like now after right-clicking on each of the PHOTOS 2022\ folders and select ing'Show Parent Folder?' Please post a screenshot, which might give us  a clue as to what's happing to cause this issue. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks normal now with Photo 2022 and inside the subfolders. This happens to one of my community member, so I cannot unfortunately  make more tests.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1) If it happens again with a new import try reseting your LrC Preferences file as outlined at the below article. Place a copy of the current preferencs file on your desktop so it can be easily restored if the issue remains.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

2) Remove (not delete) the newly imported files and folders.

3) Try importing the same files and folders again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines