• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Subject "Auto Select" for Masking DOESN'T Choose Subject I Need to Mask

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Develop Module of Lightroom Classic, allow users to manually "select”/create the OUTLINE of the wanted subject for masking.

I find Lightroom doesn't auto select the subject I want.

Recent example-- I want to mask a large, multi-paned window, that is slightly covered by ragged gauzy curtains. Because LR doesn't auto select that subject, I have to use the brush which requires a very steady hand and is tedious. (I don’t care for or use Photoshop which I’m sure offers this option.)

Thank you.

Lightroom version: 11.4.1 Release

Mac OS: Monterey 12.4.1

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO Auto 'Select Subject' is not "Magic" unfortunately. The AI that finds the subject may not work on all images.

It is suited to subjects like 'portraits', or images where the 'subject' is singular, and contiguous, with good delineation.

Detailed subjects, as your windows, do not suit the Select Subject Masking.

Example- my chairs! Auto Mask also finds the grass behind the chairs-

2022-08-15 09_34_15-Roberts Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg2022-08-15 09_34_02-Roberts Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

Sometimes a Giant Brush, with [Auto Mask] turned on can select areas (such as window panes) with just ONE click of the Brush on an appropriate 'tone'.

2022-08-15 09_42_07-Roberts Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg2022-08-15 09_41_47-Roberts Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Select Object, released today, might be a better fit for this type of selection. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines