Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Subject selection lost when importing the catalog

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having issues with the automatic subject selection masks, maybe someone can help me understand.

I only recently updated Lightroom and started using the AI masks.

When working with photos on a white background I'm using the subject selection reversed on the background in order to brighten it and make it perfectly white. 
I work from home on a catalog, when I work from the studio I have a backup of all the catalogs I'm working on, so when I get there I usually open the backup catalogs and import the ones I've worked on at home.

I discovered that, after importing a catalog where I used subject selection masks, all the changes I've made are still there but said masks are gone...

When I import a catalog I use the "only metadata and develop changes" option, always worked fine.

Am I doing something wrong?

thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you "exporting as a catalog" from home, or are you simply copying the entire catalog folder from home? When you transfer the catalog from your home to your studio, is the ".lrcat-data" file included as well as the ".lrcat" file?

How are the original images handled? Do they get transferred or are you just using smart previews?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jim,

O export as a catalog when working from home, both files are included. When at home, I work with smart previews, while in the studio I have all the original linked to the catalog.

Before importing, I open the catalog I've worked on from home, link the original images and then I import this catalog on the backup one. The issue shows after the importation.
I hope I'm describing the procedure well, sorry but English is not my first language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you import the catalog into the backup one at the studio, can you confirm that the ".lrcat-data" file is alongside the ".lrcat" file of the catalog that you are importing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah,

After I link the original images to the catalog, that's what I see in the catalog folder.

I open the backup catalog and just drag in the .lrcat as I always do.

I just find it weird that only the subject selection masks disappear, while all the other changes are there, even the automatic sky selection stays so I'm not sure it's a problem regarding the AI masks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if the masks are getting lost when you drag the .lrcat file into the main catalog (TBH, I didn't even know you could do that). Why not try doing the more typical "Import from another catalog", to see if that makes a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're not copying the .lrcat-data file @Jim Wilde mentions, Lightroom will create one, but it won't have the masks. The original file (or a copy of it) has to travel with the catalog file. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bear with me, I'm trying to understand.

So what you're suggesting is importing directly the catalog where I've worked on instead of creating a new one by doing "export as catalog"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem if I do the proper import method, I usually just drag as I find it more practical.

But I've just discovered that this issue seem to appear when I'm importing in a catalog relying on original files, when I import it on a catalog that's using smart previews I can see all the masks and everything is fine 😅

Problem is, sooner or later, I'll need to link the original files for exporting the final images...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I've just discovered that this issue seem to appear when I'm importing in a catalog relying on original files, when I import it on a catalog that's using smart previews I can see all the masks and everything is fine 😅

Problem is, sooner or later, I'll need to link the original files for exporting the final images...

By @Norawabi

What you could try after relinking the "home" catalog to the original files at the studio, and before importing that catalog into the main studio catalog, would be be to check that the masks are still OK. It maybe that they need to be recomputed as they were initally created using SPs and now you're using the full res originals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd definitely prefer using Import as Catalog directly for a few reasons, including not having temporary files floating around. I do find it intriguing that you have the masks with the Smart Preview as that's an untouched DNG file essentially. None of the Lightroom settings are embeded in that file, it's just the catalog applying the changes to the file in preview. 

What happens after you relink one of the files? 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I find it weird that just the subject selection masks get lost, while all the other masks are there and work just fine.

I'll have to verify what happens on the catalog I've worked on when I link the original files, as soon as I'll be in the studio I will check and let you guys know but thanks for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines