• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Substantial lag in LRC v. 12.

Participant ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is LONG and detailed. Sry... SysInfo follows at end of post. 

Background: I have used Lightroom since version 2. I am a working, full-time photographer. I use this program on almost a daily basis and have for most of the last 15 years. There are things I don't know about the program but I would say I'm an experienced user.

I am on a 64 bit Win 11 PC. My motherboard is ASUS.  My system is 1.5 years old. 

I updated to LRC V. 11 back in April or May - whenever it came out. Noticed a substantial slowdown in program load and in editing,  and some weird screen and side panel reloading. I thought it was related to Win 11, or specifically Win11's security stuff, but I don't believe now that is the case. I have disabled Windows anti-virus as we are on a closed system with virus monitoring/blocking at server level. I have another virus scanner but it is set to ignore LRC. I updated to V12 the minute it was available, hoping the lag of V. 11 would be resolved, but no.  Much worse. 

I have 16GB RAM, expanded virtual memory, a dedicated drive for my catalogue with nothing else on that drive. This drive is 1/6th full.**

My Windows system is set to defrag all my drives weekly. In Preferences,  have "write to XMP" disabled. My graphics processor - GeForce 1650 - is very new, fast, set to optimize for graphics, and has a 4gb buffer (that is likely not the right term). It is set to AUTO in LRC preferences. I have the latest driver for that hardware as of six days ago. Adobe's techs - three of them - confirm that processor is more than adequate and I have more than enough RAM. I optimize and back up LRC weekly.

My images are on a 4TB working drive which has 3/4ths free.  LR - the program - is located on my NVMe SSD C: drive. My LRC backups go to a folder in Dropbox. My RAW Cache goes to the catalogue drive. I delete cache weekly. It is set to 100 GB (waaay more than necessary) for images and 10gb for video (I don't ever edit video in LRC). 

I import 1:1 previews and have Smart Previews enabled (although I may disable that, as it isn't necessary for my workflow). I have previously imported both Standard and Minimal previews; neither setting makes a difference to load or edit speed. I have also deleted all my preferences on various occasions, as an Adobe tech suggested. Also no change in lag. 

Last week, I was again connected to Adobe. The tech accessed my system, renamed everything Adobe to Adobe.old, then used Creative Cloud to uninstall my Adobe programs. He then rebuilt my entire Adobe Creative Cloud suite. Zero change in speed (and the links to my 15 years of presets created broken; resolved now). 

**Yesterday, I installed a new NVMe drive - Gen 4, 500GB - also directly to the motherboard. Speed test for that drive was great - very fast, and 2x faster than my C: drive, which is probably Gen2. I get 1800/2000 and 2400/2800 read/write on the C: drive, and 2500/2800 and 2900/3400 on the new drive, read/write. This new drive has only has my LRC catalogue on it and has 455 of 465GB free - nearly empty. 

I currently have exactly the same information on both my was-working-catalogue drive and my new, fast NVMe drive. I have launched LRC from both locations and noted program load speed. No noticeable difference.  The catalogues and related folders and files are identical. The catalogues do not, and cannot run concurrently. Intend to wipe my was-working-drive and unmount it. 

As a general workflow process, I import images via Adobe Photo Downloader, so that they are imported into my working and backup drives at the same time, same folder structure, identical file names. Then, in LRC, I locate the images I want to work with on my working drive, and add them to my catalogue. The backup drive is just that; backup. I never access this drive via LRC or PS. My backup is on a 5TB external drive. I have room in my tower to install this drive, but as it is only a backup, I don't think its location makes any difference. My LRC catalogue never refers to it. 

First pass, I colour code all the viable/useable images. Anything without a colour, which is to say, grey bounding box, I delete from both my LRC catalogue, and from my working disk. Those images remain on my backup drive. Then, I do a second pass and star all the images I intend to edit. I don't delete or remove unstarred images, but hide them by filtering by star rating.  None of this has made any positive difference to screen loading/reloading or editing lag. 

Some things I've noticed in LRC V.12:  If I edit an image, and then choose COPY, LRC massively slows down. I don't paste masks or spot removals; just basic edits, temp, texture clarity, exposure, tone, sometimes calibration, and occasionally crop to images shot same time, same location. I have "Synchronize" enabled so the adjustments are applied to all selected images. The COPY/PASTE lags are identical whether I open my catalogue from my was-working-drive or my new NVMe drive. 

Upon selecting COPY, it can take up to 30 seconds for any function to become available. The entire screen and both side panels reload. During this time, the screen and panels are greyed out and no mouse clicks register. The PASTE button is also greyed out for the duration.

Upon pasting adjustments to other images, whether one, or a series, the entire screen and both side panels yet again reload. This also can take up to 30 seconds. Sometimes my entire screen flickers several times, sometimes disappears all together, and sometimes a large black rectangle appears covering about half the LRC window. It's all very weird. Also, editing speed slows massively the more images I edit. The first 10 or so I can edit reasonably quickly but after that, the program becomes slower and slower. I currently go to preferences, clear my cache, and shut down the program as soon as it begins to lag. If I'm editing 400 photos, this becoems a huge bother.  For the record, these frustrations were also features in V. 11 in my pre-upgraded environment although to a lesser extent. 

As for other programs running, it makes no difference whether other programs are running or nothing else is running. In the last couple weeks, I have closed everything other than LRC and have also disabled one of my monitors (I work on two generally) to limit unnecessary draw on my GPU. There is no difference at all in LRC speeds regardless of any of this. 

I realise all the tools and the AI in V. 12 are resource hungry, but the program is, for me, very sluggish, even with a pretty well optimized system. It takes 30 to 45 seconds for the program to launch at all.  I can't figure out if there is a conflict or what that could be, and neither could any of the three Adobe techs who have been in my system via their live help tool. Even the tech doing a complete uninstall/reinstall made no difference.

I have maxed out my virtual memory hoping that would help, but no. The only thing I haven't done is to monitor RAM use while I'm editing to see whether it is filling up and that's where the bog is.  If RAM is filling up, I don't know how to change or fix that, or how to allocate/re-allocate resources so RAM won't fill up. Whether or not RAM is filling up during editing, the slow program launch is still a mystery. None of my other programs, PS included, take anywhere near that time to load. PS is about 15 seconds. 

If anyone can discover anything I could change from what I've posted here, I am all ears/eyes.Screenshot 2022-10-27 140329.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Auto Sync on large numbers of photos? Don't. It'll kill your system as each edit will get copied in realtime. Better to use Select all and Sync when the edit is done. That way it's one command, not a whole series of commands, one after another. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not selecting a series of images and editing all at the same time.

I pick one image from the same location time, make all my adjustments there, select Copy, then select any other images in the series to which these adjustments should be applied, and choose Paste.

I do not copy tranform or lens corrections, nor do I copy spot removal, as those never apply to subsequent images. I also do not copy masks unless I'm pasting those to virtual copies. Otherwise they rarely apply. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My friend i had 0 lag on LR 11, i upgraded my videocard from 1060 to 3060 ti and the new LR 12 has up to 2 seconds delay on M2 3000 MB/s windows 10 pro (only OS and LR) just read and SSD for SWAP and another M2 3000 MB/s for photos, and guess what import is less then 200 MB/s (HDD speed). Tested COPY PASTE 1700 MB/s real speed so a 25MB raw picture needs a better CPU (i have RYZEN 9 3900x so i have to upgrade to future i9 extrem 16th generation with maximum 6 cores and 10Ghz base clock with liquid nitrogen cooling) GPU (3060 ti so you have to talk with miners to use their farm house just to put the adjusments on your files or pre order rtx 7000 series in quad sli or more) M3 because m2 is old and you need lightning fast prices... to review how WANTS TO SUE ADOBE ABOUT THIS LAGGING PROBLEMS that the technicians tell us to wait for the next upgrade, the upgrade was released and still lag for making money from our upgrades? My 24 core CPU with only 10% works much better then the advanced GPU acceleration when i am in corp mode, i am sick and tired to upgrade my PC and benchmark adobe software. They have to unlock the CPU cores it is just a code in their software (because it works on multicore maximum 6 cores) and to use full GPU when you want and where you want. nVidia made Geforce and Quadro with full adobe LR and PS aceleration for 0 lag when you use tools in develope mode. So who wants to sue? I have recorded their technicions that asked me what version do i have on my videocard and i tolk him that i have 567.56 and he told me that i have to upgrade to vers 567.56 with the link nVidia... so no comment here.Are you sick amd tired... WHO IS WITH ME?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines