Sudden Missing Files without LR Denoting Them As Missing

New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom has all of a sudden stopped being able to access photos from one of my hard drives.

When I try to export the photos it looks like it does but then the folder is empty after exporting.

I try to open them up in photoshop and it gives me this message "

Lightroom was unable to prepare the selected file at /Volumes/Backups 3.0/Celebrate Again/Elopements/Cannon Beach Elopement 2020 | Blanca & Billie | Nov 1, 2020/Raw/Cannon-beach-elopement-2020-5640.NEF for editing.

It will not be opened."

However it will not label the photo as "file is missing" 

I've clicked on creating a virtual copy and it says "

The file could not be found."

But then I click on "show in finder" and it shows me exactly where it is in the hard drive.

I have had to move photos from the old hard drive reupload, and then re edit them or apply the saved catalog if I have one.

I have no idea what to do since the photos aren't showing up as missing for me to reconnect them.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022
Go to MacOS 'System Settings - Security & Privacy' and add Lightroom Classic to "Full Disk Access". Click on the lock icon to unlock the settings, then click on the plus icon to add Lightroom Classic if it isn't already listed. If it is listed, then just enable the checkbox.    

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to MacOS 'System Settings - Security & Privacy' and add Lightroom Classic to "Full Disk Access". Click on the lock icon to unlock the settings, then click on the plus icon to add Lightroom Classic if it isn't already listed. If it is listed, then just enable the checkbox.

CD5B85B9-D415-4EA1-BBDA-8BAC775478CB.jpeg

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THank you thank you!!! This fixed it! You're a gem!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a Windows system the 'Pipe' character [|] cannot be used for folder names.

Also your folder path names contain commas [,] fullstops [.] and the Pipe [|].

/Volumes/Backups 3 [.] 0/Celebrate Again/Elopements/Cannon Beach Elopement 2020 [ | ] Blanca & Billie [ | ] Nov 1 [ , ] 2020/Raw/

I would suggest that Lightroom-Classic treats these as "Illegal Characters" with uncertain consequences.

Can you [Edit in] a file from LrC to Ps if it is NOT in a folder path that contains illegal characters?

2022-05-06 10_14_35-Preferences.jpg

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 11.3, Photoshop 23.3, ACR 14.3, Lightroom 5.3, Lr-iOS 7.0.2, Bridge 12.0.1, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These characters are all valid in MacOS folder names, and as the problem occurred "all of a sudden" I don't think this is causing it. I do agree it's a good idea to avoid those characters in folder and file names however.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines