• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suddenly star rating does not show under thumbnail

Contributor ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using LR version 7.3.  Working on assigning star ratings and all is working fine then out of nowhere, I press "3" to give a 3 star rating as I had just been doing successfully for about 45 minutes and no star rating shows up.  I get confirmation that 3 was assigned via pop up note and I I go to menu>photo>set rating it also shows the image as having a 3.  Why no "3" with the thumbnail????????????

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

In your main workspace at the very bottom right should be Lock Grid, View as Thumbnails, Content as Details, and Content as List.  Then a down facing arrow.  Click the down facing arrow and uncheck Thumbnails Only.  Your star ratings will come back on, along with the file name.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're referring to thumbnails in the Library grid view, go to View > View Options and make sure rating is selected for Compact Cell Extras and/or Expanded Cell Extras, depending on which you've selected in the top dropdown of the View Options window.

If you're referring to thumbnails in the filmstrip at the bottom, go to Preferencs > Interface, and make sure ratings is selected under Filmstrip, and adjust the thumbnail size to make sure they're large enough: https://laurashoe.com/2013/03/25/lightroom-filmstrip-quick-tips/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying to help but not a correct answer.  I know how to set LR to display star ratings.  My point is as I stated that they were displaying fine and then suddenly they stopped.  I was continually moving image to image using auto advance and applying ratings.  All was merrily rolling along and then stopped.  That's the problem!  Nothing to do with view options or preferences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Troubleshooting questions:

- You didn't indicate -- is the problem with Library grid view thumbnails or the filmstrip?  Different problems with different solutions.

- Did you restart your computer?  Yes, unfortunately that can often fix problems with LR's user interface.

- Did you actually double-check View > View Options (for grid view) or Preferences > Interface (for the filmstrip)? It's easy to accidentally change them (e.g. by typing "J"), and infrequently LR misbehaves and seems to change option settings itself.   Try changing the options, switching between expanded and compact cells, and turning off and on the ratings for each of those options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using two monitors.  The left monitor is is grid view.  The right monitor is in loupe view.  I am simply using the arrow keys or the number keypad, both on the right side of the keyboard, nowhere near the "J" key.  As I assigned ratings, they would show up in the expanded cell view rating footer of the grid view on the left monitor.  I am doing nothing more than either hitting a number key or the right arrow.  As I was working, when I assigned a number it was displaying as noted.  Then for no reason, the next image to which I assigned a number rating display the stars in the expanded cell rating footer of the grid view.  LR acknowledged the rating as I said previously because if I used the photo menu, the image would show as given a star despite no star showing in the grid view.  I shutdown LR and restarted and it is working again as of now.  I did not restart the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad that restarting resolved the issue.  It's unfortunate that restarting LR and rebooting the computer often solves the spurious problems.

More generally, given LR's flakiness, the ease with which a user can accidentally change a setting, and the difficulties in communicating details on the forums, it's best not to make assumptions about what the other person does or does not know or the cause of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nature+Light  wrote

Thanks for trying to help but not a correct answer.  I know how to set LR to display star ratings.  My point is as I stated that they were displaying fine and then suddenly they stopped.  I was continually moving image to image using auto advance and applying ratings.  All was merrily rolling along and then stopped.  That's the problem!  Nothing to do with view options or preferences. 

Actually, it could still have to do with that. Is it possible that you pressed the J key by mistake? That will cycle through the view options.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is getting so tiresome.  The latest 7.3 update is one thing after another.  Now today I try to remove a folder from the catalog and it won't remove!!!!!!!!!!  rolled back to 7.2 again and I guess I'm going to have to stay there despite the convenience of the revised basic panel and the addition of profiles and improved auto adjustment.  I really don't expect any answer here.  This is just hoping Adobe realizes the mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And so it goes....on version 7.2 today

Downloading a shoot from today and all is working when suddenly a thumbnail goes gray.  Fed up so deleted preferences, restarted, reset preferences the way I had them, restarted and now get assertion failed message.  Tried restarting from yesterday's backup and got same message.   Anybody have any clues on this one!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your main workspace at the very bottom right should be Lock Grid, View as Thumbnails, Content as Details, and Content as List.  Then a down facing arrow.  Click the down facing arrow and uncheck Thumbnails Only.  Your star ratings will come back on, along with the file name.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try enlarging the thumbnail size. That worked today for me. The thumbnail on my laptop was compressed and suprise! spreading it open showed the rating stars!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enlarging the thumbnail strip totally worked! Thanks a million!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Glad I came across this simply suggestion. It helped me as well. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I scoured and scoured the internet with no luck. Accidentally increased the size of the thumbnail by holding the border line and pulling it upward, Ta-Da!

Hope that mistake works for you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View/view options/compact cell extras/bottom lable, select raiting from de menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also made the same mistake. I accidentally clicked on the tiny arrow in the center of the bottom, which shows the thumbnail images and the star sorting adjustment. Just click the tiny arrow located in the middle of the bottom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2023 Aug 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

At botrtom right, where those stars would normally be, click the word "Filter:" 

It will expand to the left and you'll be back to normal.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines