Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Switching between PDF and Blurb Photo Book in LR Book Module

New Here ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted about this a few years ago but this problem remains unfixed.

I regularly make large "Blurb Photo Book"s in the LR Book Module that bump up against the 440 page limit using standard paper.  I also have really lousy internet.  I sometimes have to print a "PDF" book to a thumbdrive to upload at a different location with faster internet.  This works well.

The problem occurs when I want to switch back to a "Blurb Photo Book" from "PDF" in the Book Module.  I get the following error message:

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 1.53.15 PM.png

Clearly this is a serious problem for me and one I dont dare try to experiment with to work around.  I believe it would not be difficult to set the Blurb Photo Book paper to "standard" paper to avoid this problem.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced this problem also.

My work-around has been to stay in the 'Blurb Photo Book' mode and for a PDF use the button in the lower left [Export as PDF]. The problem with this is that it is not possible to set 'quality, ppi, etc'

2021-09-10 08_01_27-Lightroom Catalog-v10 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Book.jpg

Alternatively always design in the 'Blurb Photo Book' mode and 'Duplicate' the saved Book Collection in the Collections panel. Use this 'copy' of the book to convert to 'PDF' mode, and the pages (>240) are preserved. If you want to change the book design- work in the 'Blurb...' book Collection and make another duplicate copy book collection for the PDF.

My guess is that Lr tries to conform to Blurb's requirements.

There is a Blurb help page that is interactive- Changing the paper quality limits the pages. (eg. Set pages to 241 and 'Standard' paper is the only selectable option.)

https://au.blurb.com/make/pdf_to_book/booksize_calculator#book-attributes

2021-09-10 07_54_53-PDF to Book Specifications _ Blurb Books Australia — Mozilla Firefox.jpg

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.4, Photoshop 22.5, Lightroom 4.4, Windows-10 Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you and I wished I had thought to duplicate my book(s) before exporting to PDF.  I will be sure to do that in the future!

I think I will be alright if I remember to always stay in the PDF Book Settings when editing these books and always export to PDF.

It's rather like the Sword of Damocles hanging over my head!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am inclined to suggest the opposite, ie. always edit in [Blurb Photo Book] mode.

You can always go [Blurb Photo Book] > [PDF] with >240 pages preserved,

but you cannot go [PDF] > [Blurb Photo Book] with >240 pages preserved.

And yes, it would be good if LrC could autoset the page to 'Standard' if changing from PDF to Blurb.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.4, Photoshop 22.5, Lightroom 4.4, Windows-10 Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes I understand and my previous post wasn't clear.  I meant to say that I will have to remain in the PDF mode only for the books that are currently PDF and greater than 240 pages.  I can still edit them as needed in LR but they will always have to be exported to PDF.

New books going forward will be Blurb Photo Book and duplicated for PDF export.  

And really how hard a fix would this be to fix this problem?

Thanks for your help.  I feel a little stupid for not thinking of this myself.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines