Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sync star ratings between two desktop/laptop in Lightroom *Classic*

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I think this might be a variations of syncing related questions, but one for which we haven't really found any solution yet.
Now I'm not stating that I even understand why there is "Lightroom" and "Lightroom Classic" or if "Lightroom CC" is any of these, in all honesty this always confused me, however now I'm looking for a solution to a problem that I imagine should be fairly straightforward:
- we have two PCs. One desktop where we do all the editing and a laptop where we do lighter things (like culling and rating the photos, but something also do editing when the desktop is not free etc)
- both desktop has Lightroom Classic installed. The desktop currently has 9.2.1 the laptop 9.3

Now, we would like to be able to rate the pictures on the laptop and simply sync the stars to the desktop so we can edit them based on the ratings. For now nothing else. 

So no, we don't want to sync to mobile nor between Lightroom Classic and any other misterious variations of Lightroom, simply sync the ratings between two instances of the very same program (Lightroom Classics) sitting on two of our PCs.

Is there any way to do this simply operation?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, you can blame Adobe for the naming confusion. Lightroom Classic is the program that keeps all your images on the computer, in folders, using a local catalog. Lightroom is the new cloud version. The program is installed on the computer, but the images are stored in the cloud. Those images can be edited on any mobile device that has a mobile version of Lightroom installed on it. Lightroom CC is really an old name, but a lot of people refer to Lightroom as Lightroom CC.

What I would suggest in your situation would be to have Lightroom Classic installed on the desktop computer since that seems to be your "main" computer. Here is where the master images would reside. You would create collections of images that you would choose to share with the Adobe cloud. Then I would install Lightroom on the laptop. You would sign in using the same Adobe ID and password, and Lightroom would have access to all of the images that you have shared in collections. Now these are smart previews, not full-sized images. But they can still be edited, and rated, and the editing performed on the laptop would have effect on the master images on the desktop computer. The other benefit of using smart previews is that they do not impact the cloud space allotment that you have. In other words, you can have countless collections of images shared this way and never run out of space.

The interface and Lightroom is quite different, and the tools are not quite as robust. Some features that are available in Lightroom Classic are not available in Lightroom. But since you will have Lightroom Classic available on the desktop computer you can turn to it when you need those other "missing" tools, such as printing for instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome answer thanks! 🙂

That's a pretty good solution. The only difference in my case is that the my master images reside on my NAS, but ok, that doesn't change anything, will use my desktop as main with Lightroom Classic and the laptop with Lightroom, now the only question is how long a whole set of wedding shoot takes to sync to my Lightroom hm...

I'd really prefer a lot more lighweight solution for this, like the Lightroom Classic on my laptop be able to fetch only the smart previews and ratings from the collection file my desktop PC creates, oh well.

Thank again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, thanks to your clear explanation I figured my way in. Many Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wrong comment space, how do I delete this? Although, yes thank you for your contribution of course, but it wa intended to the first answer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way to move the star ratings from the laptop to the desktop (which is not technically a "Sync") is to open the Lightroom Classic catalog on the laptop, select File->Export as Catalog; then transfer the files created to the desktop and open Lightroom Classic and then use File->Import from Another Catalog and select the files moved from the laptop.

Again, the above is not a "sync", and you'd have to do this in both directions. There is no way to do a true "sync" of the catalogs on two computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found this option, and tried to do it on my last wedding shoot (few thousand images). I was really hope I don't have to do anything that takes hours just so I get the star ratings (let's say I could do the culling on the train on my laptop and then I'd like to just jump into editing when I get home on my desktop. I really only need the info about the stars... 😞 ).

Thank anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Star ratings synchronize between LrC and Lightroom for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, now that you've explained the  relation between Lightroom Classic and Lightroom to me I underatand how I can use them to do this for me, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am afraid that your reasonable request is impossible. To allow exchanges between Classic and Coud ( I am as confused as you are with the two instances) you need to sync and it is all or nothing. A pain in the neck. Please Adobe do something.

Best Regards
Eric Pecquerie
Sent from my iPad Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you wish Adobe engineers to focus on a request to a new feature then post the request in the Photoshop Family Feedback website.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family 

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, thanks to your clear explanation I figured my way in. Many Thanks 🙂

I put the same comment on another reply and can't see how to remove it, but it is you I wished to thank 🙂 LOL

J’aime

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines