• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Synchronize (Update) a Folder in LR Cl. – How Avoid EMBEDDED Preview?

Participant ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, in Lightroom Classic on Win, when I paste pics into a folder known by LR, I need LR to "synchronize" that folder to see the new pasted-in pictures (so this synchronizing is not any online thing). I always get "embedded previews", not better LR-created "Standard" previews.

In the Catalog Settings, in File Handling, I use

Default Preview Size: 2880 px

Preview Quality: High

Delete 1:1 Previews: after 30 days

Still when I synchronize the folder (i.e. let LR scan the newly pasted-in pictures), I get "Embedded Preview" and the only way to heal this seems a click on the line "Embedded Preview". Or what to do?

When I IMPORT pics via the Import Dialog, I know how to avoid "Embedded" and use "Standard" Previews instead (i.e. the LR-created previews). My Import Dialog is set to "Standard" previews, but the folder-synchronizing (no dialog there, thanks God) only offers "Embedded" previews. If I wait 30 minutes, still only "Embedded" previews in Loupe View (and there is no status bar in the top left corner that would indicate the creating of "Standard" previews).

So how can I get right away "Standard" previews when SYNCHRONIZING (updating) a folder? (Aware that the "Standard" previews take time and space. Still I want them.)

Thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, OP again: In LR Classic grid view, there is the context menu command "Metadata/Update DNG Preview and Metadata". Even when i run this, i still have "Embedded Previews", not "Standard" (after sychnronizing (updating) a folder, not talking about importing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Synchronize folder, is importing to additional images in the folder.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at the article at the link below. For additional info.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/synchronize-folder/

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When the Synchronize Folder dialog comes up with the result of the scan, then you can check the option to show the import dialog. There you can set which preview will be generated for the new images.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines